Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Stop the Increase in NSW Personal Number Plate Charges Petition

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Kermie, Apr 17, 2012.

1. If you have some form of a personalised number plate, it may be in your interest to join in on the petition.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wow. What justification could there be? Soak the rich is about the only one I can come up with.

Do personalised plate owners use the roads more? Nor should they be charged a recurring fee.
  3. It's not like you need them. I say increase them. The tax has to come from somewhere, better on something that is a luxury.
  4. $440 a year for a $20 piece of tin, beautiful.
  5. Plus one for this.

Although, they (http://www.myplates.com.au/) are being run by a foreign country now, so I wonder how much of the increased revenue stays in Australia.

I was about to get one, but even what it is now is a joke for what it is.
  6. look at the end of the day it is a bit bullshit, i fully understand the one of fee to have them made, no problems with that in my book though i doubt it costs more then $5 to print a plate.

And the reocurring fee is also bullshit, once its been printed its no differeant to any other rego. so why the fees.

but at the end of the day personalised plates are pointless and wanky and if the increases on them prevent increases in overall rego for everyone or something else like that, im happy.
  7. Personalised number plates are a lot like Ed Hardy shirts.

They cost the user more then they should,

They serve the user no purpose and make you look like a douche,

And most importantly they allow everyone else to instantly identify the douche bags amongst us.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. I'm out then
    But I'm a nice douch, hang on...sold my plates with the Viffer.

Play the ball and not the man people.
    What a ridiculous revenue raising exercise.
    Though Vic was the rip off state?
    Personal plates are a bit more affordable these days. Let folks indulge for sure, but a recurring fee? FFS!
  9. Why would you want to pay extra for something that makes it even easier for police to identify your vehicle?
    • Like Like x 5
  10. I did think about getting O01I1 as I thought that might be the only thing worth paying for. In the end it just didn't make sense to pay that much.
  11. When the government raises prices on something that affects me they are kants, but when it is someone else I like to think of them as a business I own shares in. So what is the optimal pricing for a number plate to best increase profits? Could they make more if they reduced the price? I dunno, they have a monopoly on the business. I actually think they could charge more and get away with it. They've hit the status symbol mark where people will actually buy it because it costs more and they can show off that money doesn't matter to them.
  12. must be the carbon tax
  13. Or this. MNMMN
  14. I wonder how plates like that would go with speed cameras, or toll points
  15. I searched SPDKLS (speed kills) a while back. If I have the spare dollars I would sooooo get it!
    But then again, I'm a douche! Ha ha
  16. Signed.

I hope they actually look at the petition. I cant believe they are raising the already outrageous prices. The RTA are a bunch of pathetic W*nkers. Its all just revinue raising. It should be a right to beable to have a personalised plate not a privilage if you can afford the extra $440 a year.

17. Clearly they don't like personalised plates, probably something about compliance...

Obviously they can't just get rid of them, there would be an uproar.

Price them out of the equation. Fixed.

Victoria will be next.
  18. I'd say it's more like someone has estimated they would only loose something like 40% of sales by increasing the cost by 300%.

fine by me. It's a tax I'm happy to avoid.
  19. And how the hell do they get some of the colour schemes vetted? The light grey text on light purple background is near impossible to read. Get back to basics: licence plates are there to clearly identify the vehicle.