Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stop Motion Motorbike Film

Discussion in 'Multimedia' at netrider.net.au started by QuarterWit, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Hey all!

I'm doing arts at Melbourne (history) at the moment and found out I can do an intensive summer course in animation. I've never done anything like it before and after a few hours instructions I made this...

Features a motorbike, so it's totally relevant. Sorta.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Couldn't help myself

degree.

Would you like fries with that?

• Like Like x 1
  3. That was good. I look forward to Steve's reaction.

4. :)

"In his book If This is Man, Primo Levi tells of a time when he was teaching Italian to a French prisoner in Auschwitz by reciting verses of Dante to him. As he recites, and then translates, The Canto of Ulysses, its beauty nourishes him. He says, "[It is] as if I also was hearing it for the first time: like the blast of a trumpet, like the voice of God. For a moment I forget who I am and where I am". Then, at a critical point, he forgets some lines. With mounting panic he tries to recall them, but to no avail. Levi tells us that he "would give today's soup" to remember. I need not tell you what it meant to forgo a bowl of soup in Auschwitz; the terrible things people did even for an extra spoonful."
    -Rai Gaita

5. So the moral of the story is do an arts degree if you expect to be incarcerated in a concentration camp?

6. #7 mattb, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    Indeed, Yes: concentration camps and other dangerous situations, such as life.

I have several degrees. One of them earns me a living. But it is the Arts degree I value most.

(Of course, what I focused on was more than intellectual entertainment. It was an exploration of the sort of thing Simone Weil referred to when, working in an automative factory during the 1930s, she wrote that only the greatest literature was good enough for those who suffered the affliction of soul-destroying work.)