Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stop and Go exercise for newbies.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by agelow, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Wasnt sure how to delete the thread, so I just culled the info.

This is my personal thread for learning, what may be said here may not be applicable for you.

Thanks

2. With due respect be careful about posting "advice". My bike redlines at 6000rpm. If I took it to 4000rpm "to practice" I would be a statistic in no time. Or in China!

3. He has left a bit out with the rev range,

I said to start at 4000, but if thats too fast drop to 3000 if its too slow raise it to 5000,
    Try increments of 500, Up or down,
    It all depends on the bike itself, what revs you use,

His is a 250, Whats yours,

I unleash mine at 4000, I am doing 120 in seconds, More than likely on the back wheel,

Say hello to Linda on the XX for me,

4. Agelow, this thread was to help you. dont give advice,
    You have got some of it wrong in your post,
    Go back and read the other post very carefully,
    What is applicable to your bike is not applicable to other bikes,
    I would suggest you delete this post regarding information of advice,

This thread is specifically for you, it does not apply to other people with different size bikes,

Here, you will tell me where your at, or up to, then I will advise you what to do next,

Only people with the same size bike as yours, can use this info,

I am not there, So 4000 revs was a starting point only, Its up to you to find out whether it is too fast or too slow,
    As I pointed out in detail in the other thread,

5. Yup, fully understood. Intention was right but not the expertise.

Bryan right now this is where I am up to.

I've ridden around and been up to 80km/h once when it was a quiet time of day.

Stop and Go has been going OK. Not stalling when I need to go, however its not natural for me yet. Hill starts same feeling.

I've noticed that for me to get to 70km/h fast to beat traffic, I have to rev it quite hard. 4000rpm wont cut it on a 250. So im keeping it around 7-8000 rpm and usually change gears quite quickly to get up there.

Problems

-down shifting and stopping. sometimes when I am slowing down quickly, I don't feel I have time to down shift from 6th gear to 1. So I have stalled because my revs are too low and I am too high in the gear. What do I do next?

- I am not in gear 1 when I am nearing my complete stop. Sometimes I am fully stopped, and can feel I am in gear 2.. It wont let me shift down when I am stationary..? so how do i get back to gear 1. Is it absoluetly nessaccary i get to gear 1 from take off?

-unsure what gear I am most of the time. Anyway to check? I guess I could keep counting.

Adrian

6. It doesn't necessarily matter how high the revs are if the clutch lever is pulled all the way in. A gradual clutch engagement will feed the power into the drive train. If the revs and acceleration seems too much, you simply roll off the throttle a bit. It's better to err on higher revs than lower revs and stall.

My 250 cruised at 100km/h in 6th at 8000RPM. It redlined at 14000RPM. When I first started riding 4000rpm seemed excessive to get the bike rolling, but it wasn't enough for a smooth start. After a while I routinely dialed in upwards of 8000RPM and slipped the clutch. That was neither a race start or got the front wheel up and it wasn't excessive revs for the engine - it was only just over half it's design range.

There is no fixed recipe that applies to all bikes except: dial in appropriate power/revs via the throttle and gradually engage the gearbox through the use of the clutch.

Learn to control that left hand in conjunction with the right wrist.

7. If you are in second and it doesn't want to go down to first, try holding pressure down on the gear lever while gently letting the clutch out a bit. You will probably find it will select first, then put clutch back in.

Personally I would seek a mentor to ride with you and give you a few hints.

8. hey guys, still having issues with down shifting.

I find that when i am going 80km, and the lights turn and I need to quickly slow down, I down shift as my revs goes down.. but then i get stuck at 2-3.

I try to shift down but nothing happens. i know that I'm not in 1, because when i shift up it doesn't go to neutral.

Grey I will try your technique again, but not sure if im doing it rite.

9. Grey nailed it, let clutch out a small amount if that happens whilst continuing to attempt to shift down. Letting the bike roll forward a fraction whilst doing this can't hurt either.

10. I am going out. Will get back to you this afternoon,

11. Hey guys

Thought I'd post up my progress.

Problem has been not being able to get into first gear as i slow down from 6th gear.

I have been reading about throttle blipping and practicing it.

Has been a massive help. Although I dont do it quickly, I'm starting to get the smooth transition and able to find myself at gear 1 when I'm stopped.

Next challenge.. fast acceleration when STOP so I can enter traffic thats going 80km!

Cheers,

P.S must also practice E-braking. Was at uni and wasnt paying attention. Going 20km, people walked out infront of me and I slammed on the brakes. Back wheel started to skid and fish tail. <-- is that an example of locking the wheel??

12. Yes

And yes you must practice e-braking