Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stolen bike recovered after 35 years

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Gromit, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Here's the link

2. Motorcycle, rider reunited after 35 years
    Thirty-five years after it was stolen, police in Long Beach, California have recovered a motorcycle as it was being shipped to an unsuspecting person in Finland who bought it in an online auction.

The Yahama 360 was stolen in 1971 from Phillip McKeen off a street in Long Beach, 40 kilometres south of Los Angeles.

Mr McKeen, now an airline pilot who lives in the north-eastern US, calls its recovery "incredible".

"It's as if a friend you hadn't seen for 30 years walked back into your life but hasn't aged a day," he said.

The motorcycle, which has just 15,100 kilometres on the odometer, surfaced for auction on eBay late last year.

Police say a resident of Lahti, Finland, won the auction with a bid of almost $A 2,378.

The motorcycle was discovered during a routine check of a container on a ship about to leave the US for Scandinavia.

Police say the seller, from central California, was not involved in the theft.

Earlier this year California police also recovered a Corvette convertible sports car stolen in 1969 from New York as it was being shipped to Sweden from Los Angeles.
  3. how amazed would you be :LOL:
    v. cool
  4. yeah ya wonder if the bike could talk about where its been what stories it would have to tell..... ?? :grin:
  5. Sighhh .... wish my bike'd come back ... it got stolen back in Sept '76.
    It was parked outside a mates place in Mitford St, Elwood, alongside his Kwaka 750 triple. They took mine and left his :roll:
    It was a Honda 750/4 K1 .. it'd just had a complete motor rebuild and been back on the road 3 days :(
    I still remember the engine number off by heart .. it was CB750E-2230809 ..
    I wonder where it is after 30-odd years ..........
  6. poor bloke in Finland though....

guess there's a bit of red tape going on right now.
  7. should do a vicroads check.....who knows it may still be out there looking for you!
  8. but the big question is: would you WANT to get a 35 year old twin cylinder bike back?? :LOL:
  9. If you got a payout from it... would you have to pay the insurance company back???