Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stolen bike back, ignition barrels destroyed.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Flavouredbread, May 27, 2016.

1. G'day mates.
    Horrible stuff, got my bike stolen about a month back. Kept in in my garage since rego ran out and wasn't insured, wasn't gonna ride the bloody thing like a lunatic.

Got it back about 30 mins ago, but the ignition barrels completely and utterly fu**ed as the say.
    I *think* the electronics has been bypassed, I don't know enough about this stuff though. There's no hole for a key to get into (never mind the broken fuel case lock, bloody hell) so I can't start it.

I'm just in a sorry state myself. I just wanna sell the damn thing, seems to bring me trouble whereever I go. Where do I go from here in terms of getting it repaired and whatnot? How do I even start the thing?

2. What bike and year model buddy
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ah shite sorry
    Kawasaki ninja 250r 2008
  4. Don't think they have imobilizers. Get a second hand ignition barrel for pretty cheap. They can be a bit tricky to change sometimes though
  5. There should be plenty ignition barrels available at wreckers. One advantage of riding one of the highest selling bikes is that there will always be sufficient spares around.
  6. Cheers guys I'll have a look into it.

In the mean time, any idea how to start it up?
  7. Put a switch on the wires for the ignition contacts, on-off (slide/toggle or similar)
    Put a momentary action switch on the wires for start, on-off (press button or momentary toggle)

Turn on the slide/toggle ignition switch
    Press the button switch to turn the motor over and release it when it starts