Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

stinky helmet

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by crash_tester, Mar 16, 2007.

1. g'day everyone, (hope this is in the correct place :oops: ) having a little problem with a stinky helmet,
    during a day of racing in +30deg days with 80% humidity and a shaved head :cool:
    my head/helmet gets very sweaty and the helmet starts to stink by the end of the day
    during the race day i open the visor lay helmet on its side and face the opening towards the wind to try and dry it out, but with 20 minutes between races it doesnt do much to help

so to cut to the chase, can anyone think of a way to fix this problem, last thing i want is a mouldy helmet :sick:

2. I tried a product called 'Helmet Care'. Its not too bad, but it should help. Its a cleaning and deoderizing foam. Spray it in, leave for a while, then sponge out. I would do it early one evening then leave it for the night or longer if possible. I got it from a bike shop for about $15? Something like that. :grin:

3. thanks for that :grin:

that will be first on my list for tomorrow

4. That reminds me, I used to be a pushbike courier, and we left the lids on all day in summer because warm sweaty foam pads were better than cold sweaty foam pads. The good trick was to push a guy's helmet into their forehead so the sweat ran into their eyes! :LOL:
    My moto lid gets a bit stinky too, surely the liner can be ripped out for a wash?
    :?

5. You could try showering sometimes?

:p

Nope, I've got nothing useful to add...

6. What about Glen20 ? :LOL: :wink:

7. Try washing the bloody thing. HitWall.

Hammer3.

8. the helmet has a non-removable lining and i wasnt aware you could just wash the helmet lining in place :shock:

9. odour eaters aerosol can by scholl, find it in any chemist etc.
    liberal spray as soon as you take the helmet/gloves off

designed for shoes etc, but the spray can is brilliant for killing smells and bacteria in skid lids, and leather gloves.

helmet always smells like new :grin:

10. :LOL:

Well there you go. Ya learnt something. No more stinky odours. :grin:

11. Hmmm I never thort of using oder eaters.
    :-k
    How hard are they to cut to shape? :p

BTW I use a bandana to soak up the sweat and to stop the sweat from running into my eyes