Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Still using a CDMA phone??

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by pvda, Apr 15, 2008.

1. It was announced today that the Government has approved the closure of the Telstra CDMA mobile phone network on the 28th April 2008.

If you still have a CDMA phone (I did until last Friday) you need to look at replacing it pronto.

It was pointed out in a recent press release that many out there may not realise they actually have a CDMA phone as they look the same as a GSM phone so here are the easy ways to pick a CDMA phone;

• If it has Telstra CDMA on the screen it's a CDMA phone
      Open up the back and pull out the battery, if there isn't a SIM Card then it's probably a CDMA phone.

I had a CDMA phone which I only used when in areas of bugger all GSM coverage and I reckon a few of you may also have a CDMA tucked away somewhere.

If you are getting a Next G phone make sure it's a Next G phone and not a standard 3G phone which reverts to GSM outside of the capital cities.
  2. NextG N95, & NextG Palm 750 FTW!
    IMHO, all the dribble in the media about the NextG network not being as good as CDMA is bullshit!
    i have consistently MORE service on my phones than i ever had on CDMA, and i do a gazillion more kms on country/metro/butfcuk nowhere roads than most people :)
  3. The main thing which annoyed me about the end of CDMA, was that they didn't offer the same plans. I had a 5 year old plan which had not been updated at all, which cost about $100 a year. The newer plans seem to be so much more expensive :(
  4. Absolutely, Next G shits on CDMA in every way for rural coverage.
    I can get coverage with my Next G handset that I could only dream about with my old CDMA phone.
  5. There is actually now more base stations with Next G only than CDMA &/or GSM especially in rural areas as they stopped building new sites with GSM & CDMA and are concentrating on the Next G network.
  6. As a Telstra employee...

I have to admit that Telstra NextG network drops vast amounts of fesis all over CDMA. (Just to be politically correct)

in regards to which phone... depending on what you use a phone for I must say the Sony Ericsson K850i is my favorite (Black and Blue).

N95- GPS, 8GB storage (included), MP3/4 playback, 5MP Camera. ($1199)

K850i - up to 8GB storage (not included), MP3/4 playback, 5MP Camera with an actual flash!.(Approx $600)

V9- 2MP Camera, up to 4GB storage (not included), MP3/4 playback, Dual screen. (Approx$550)

Samsung A412 - just an ordinary phone that does what phones are meant to do. ($20 plan/24months)

Nokia 6120 - just another ordinary phone that does what phones are meant to do. ($20 plan/24months)

In conclusion:

CDMA = Out dated
    NextG = Good

Hopes this helps guys... if you have any unanswered questions please don’t hesitate to PM. :)
  7. Telstra NextG is brilliant, well I would say that as I work for them.

But I will say that hand on heart it really is a lot better than CDMA was, I understand that some people are on old grandfather plans and may have to change but hey it hasn't risen as much as petrol over the last five years!
  8. Definitely agree on the 3G network shitting over CDMA, have a friend who is a mid-level comms engineer for Optus, and being shown the overview for their "Goliath" (If memory serves me correctly) Program - which is basically a mirror for Telstra's 3G Tower upgrade program, The amount of money both companies are pouring into their respective programs is amazing - Still 98% coverage, but beefed up signal strength and towers optimised to better carry data
  9. ooh can I see it?? :LOL: :LOL: :wink:
  10. Bit outdated now I think, this was about last october... :LOL:

Netrider: Facilitating industrial espionage. Since 2004.
  11. Is it wise to admit this in public?

The N95 8 gig is a 3G phone. The "plain" N95 is a NextG model. It though can accomodate flash memory storage of up to 8 gigs, or thereabouts. The model you refer to doesn't have expandable storage.

This is what will replace my Samsung A501 when it goes out of contract in a few months.

Oh, as for comparing CDMA, NextG, GSM, etc. I found that NG wasn't as good as CDMA last year when I was up at Tintaldra. No signal at all, whereas CDMA was possible if you stood out on the road in front of the pub with your phone held up high.

I got a NG signal up in the Snowies, too around Tumut, miles from anywhere. No GSM signal though. It's not surprising, though. I'd imagine that the Snowy Hydro Authority would have requested more coverage so its employees could have radio/phone contact with base.

NG has improved over CDMA down Phillip Island. Last year at the GP the NG phone worked well and had a good signal in most places. The year before that, still on CDMA, coverage was patchy, worst in Cowes. Great out at the track.

I assume though, since I got my NG phone in Oct 06, that things have improved considerably since then. Only thing that hasn't improved is cost of the service. While phone calls are the same the data services are horrendously expensive. A recent survey by 3 and Vodaphone tended to bear this out when it said that most people don't use the data services for private use.
  12. So if all this coverage abounds in the bush, how come there's no 3G (or the Vodafone equivalent) in the city of Wollongong, or its environs? Or is that going to be left till later because we still have GSM?
  13. nextG is 3g, and then some.
    it is actually referred to as 3.5g, with far superior data speeds and functionality.
    you have it available in the 'gong, i even have it in mogo!
  14. Or anywhere west of the outer Melbourne suburbs. Had a 3G remote internet thingy (Telstra TinyPuddle) on a tour of Western Vic recently and not once did it ever have reception until we reached Melbourne. GSM mobile phones worked just fine though (Optus ones more so than Telstra).
  15. So, not having understood a word of this thread.

Will my optus pre-paid sim card just stop working one day?

Or will the nice people at optus tell me b4 the event?

Sim card is at least 7 yrs old, in it's fourth 'phone.

Old and confused.....
  16. You'll be right.

Phones that have SIM cards are GSM phones (and 3G/NextG). CDMA phones don't have SIM cards, although they generally have a slot for them, but that's probably a design sharing feature between CDMA and GSM technology that go into similar phone bodies.

Neither Optus's, or any other telco are shutting down their GSM service at any time soon. Although Telstra would love to do this, and have one network Australia-wide, which to me, makes heaps more sense than what is happening now with multiple networks using different standards.
  17. Vodafone (in it's infinite wisdom) decided to run it's own tower system, instead of doing like other providers and buying a slice of the Optus or Telstra networks. The problem is your network, ask your neighbours what they use, and seriously consider switching to the best network in your local area.

Possibly a certain testra employee can confirm this for me; this was the situation when I churned away from vodafone a few years ago,
    I live in a fringe area too, and I find that whilst I get 1-2 bars on optus (from the belgrave base station), I would get a base station in berwick (15-20 ks away) from my vantage point whilst on Vodafone. (And then I would get the phone contstantly switching between about 4 base stations) - aka no useful reception
  18. You are half right rs.

Telstra (Telecom) obviously got in first followed by Optus then Vodafone and then the still born One.Tel network and finally the two Hutchison networks.

Early doors the three main networks didn't talk to each other to share structures (poles & towers) but they do now hence you see antenna's on several levels on a pole.

When One.Tel went belly up Hutchison took over most of the site leases for the 3 Network with the other three also taking over the rest of them for their respective networks.
  19. You are kidding aren't you! My NextG wireless card works all over the place, in more locations than my old EVDO GSM data card. I would like to know what areas specifically your nextG wireless card didn't work?
  20. Pretty much anywhere west of Ballarat that wasn't in a major town or on a major highway - and pretty much anywhere on the west coast of Tasmania.
    I don't know what the differences are with the technology but getting a GSM signal (with Optus) seems a hell of a lot easier in rural areas than getting anything with Telstra, especially NextG.