Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Still smoking after all these years

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by hornet, Oct 30, 2005.

1. This year marks the 20th International annivesary of one of the more daring ventures in the motorcycling market; the release of the Yamaha RZ-500 / RD 500 LC.

For today's pampered 4-stroke pilots, consider a V4 Two Stroke semi-race replica bike, fully road legal. Lots of noise and the aura of riding on the road what the Yamaha works riders were piloting on the GP circuits of the world.

Of course, it was raced, famously winning the Castrol Six Hour Race at Oran Park, piloted by a Michael Dowson and Richard Scott. The race was flagged 'a couple of minutes' early, and many in the Honda camp, where Wayne Gardner was riding a VF-1000, cried foul and said that the Yamaha would have run out of fuel if the race had run full time, but we'll never know.

Ten years ago about they were commanding huge money in the Australian market as collectibles. A mutual friend paid, from memory, $4600 for a mint model back in the late 90's. I couldn't find any for sale today, just a report from a guy who bought a rough one on eBay for $2650.

Maybe it's just me, but this evocative howler from an age of the 'let's build it because we can' market approach still turns my head when I see one......
  2. you are an encyclopedea of motorcycling hornet :shock:

I guess bikes have been a part of your life for a while...........

so with so many fond memories, and knowledge (experience) of what makes a "classic" ................

Why do you own a hornet?

(jokes :D )
  3. He bought it sight unseen - he though he was getting one of these:

http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike Directories/BSA Bikes/pages/BSA Hornet TT 1967.htm
  4. ... and I'm stuck in the middle with you :LOL:
    (can't think of a nicer, or funnier, place to be!!)