Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Still opposed to capital punishment?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Unfortunately , he is using the drunk and have no recollection stance.It gets used to often.
  2. Yes, I am still opposed to capital punishment.

A custodial sentence for the term of his natural life would be suitable punishment, providing it was for life.

The drunk and have no recollection defence should be disallowed, he knowingly went out and over-indulged in alcohol and should therefore bear the consequences.
  3. Yes I am.

There's no alternative, if it's as cold and cruel as the newspaper makes out, the guy deserves hard time and lots of it.

Would this crime have been avoided by having the death penalty?
  4. im with rob, the death penalty is only useful as a deterrant for calculated crimes, not impulsive ones.

i love the photo caption "A couple believed to be the alleged killer's parents outside court"
    would they have uploaded a photo of the alleged's dog and said a dog believed to be owned by the aleged killer?
  5. I'm still against the death penalty, although I would like to see a real "for the term of his natural life" penalty brought back.
  6. More or less agree with you. There's been a recent outcry in NZ as well. A corrupt politician got 6 years and a yob that beat a pensioner to death got 3 years (road rage), both cases just a week or two ago.

Life improsonment should mean that, maybe with parole after XX years for first time offenders only with a clean prior record.

They should also be made to contribute to society, similar to the US's chain gangs: road works , general maintenance of public infra-structure.
  7. I am totally against capital punishment.

The legal system can not be trusted to only murder the guilty.
  8. Sorry Hornet, though shall not kill and all that. Term of his natural life seems like the way to go.

If one innocent man is killed then is capital punishment working?
  9. Yep, still opposed.

It's funny how members of the zombie jew cult are the first to get all old testament when it suits them...
  10. Life is life, lock him up and punish him every day by isolation with some japanese inmates, one meal and no exercise forever.
  11. I think Judge Dredd hacked hornets account :eek:hno:
  12. Definitely still opposed. Because using an evil act as justification for another evil act is dishonest.
    However, in some cases I am not against giving the perpetrator every opportunity to rid the world of themselves.
  13. Of course still opposed.

The alternative to deal with "this sort of thing" ?

The same as all those other 'sorts of things': only what is absolutely essential to provide a reasonable level of protection to society as a whole. With an emphasis on 'essential' and 'reasonable'.
  14. hahaha, love your work.

What i find disgusting is all the "witnesses" just standing around while he was screaming for help.
  15. Yep, while conveniently ignoring other teachings in their daily lives.

“Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and behold, the log is in your own eye? “You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye. Matthew 7:3-5
  16. Because similar to the disgusting sentences, society has been beaten in submission that criminals have rights and you could be done as well fighting a criminal off. It pretty much started at gun laws/control and the right to self defence.
  17. We can also chalk up the term "hate crime" as another stupid aspect to this crime.
  18. Criminals have had rights for a looooong time.
    Mark of a civilised society :)

We still have a right to self defence. Of course you can't extend the right of self-defence to beating the living shit out of a perpetrator while he's lying on the ground semi-conscious. Once the threat is over, time to put the baseball bat away :LOL:
  19. Yep. Honestly, survival of the fittest. Natures brutal, and society used to be. Used to be a helluva lot less of this too as a result.