Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

still need help with vtr

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by jamie, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Sorry about the double posting but i think I must have posted in the wrong section as I have hot recived any ansers,or maybe no one can help,or mabe no one reely gives a flying,but any way,I am after a manuale to work on my 250,I am also wondering if any one could give me a step by step guide to changing disk brake pads,It does not say in owners manule but what sort of brake fluide. Coolant,do I have to mix it with water?.thanks

2. If the bike is still rideable then bring it along to the upcoming spanner day and work on it there?
  3. For coolant, if you have a pre-mixed type you do not have to mix it with water. For a coolant concentrate you have to mix it with water based on the mix ratio indicated on the container. You may also have to drain the old coolant as it may not be advisable to mix different brands of coolant, (according to the manufacturer). Cheers
  4. You should double check this but the required brake fluid is almost certainly going to be DOT4. It should be in the owner’s manual so give that another read through, it’s often at the back of the manual with the general specifications. If not search the sticky post at the top of one of the forum sections (the maintenance section I guess, you’ll find it easily enough) or through Google. Changing the brake pads is an easy job and goes along these lines:

1. Undo the caliper bracket bolts attaching the brake caliper to the forks.

2. Slide the caliper body off the rotor, try to minimize the time that the caliper spends hanging, suspended only by the brake line – it doesn’t hurt in any specific way but just puts pressure on the line.

3. Undo the pins holding the brake pads on; they’re fairly obvious they’ll be at the other side of the caliper body holding them in place. There may also be (I don’t own a VTR but this is typical of many bikes) anti rattle pads (or shims – thin pieces of metal that sit next to the pads, just slide these out remembering how they sat and making sure they don’t bend).

4. Slide the brake pads out and if there’s any gunk or accumulated dust clean it away.

5. Push the caliper pistons back into the caliper body to allow room for the new (more pad material needing more space being the point here) brake pads. If the last time the brake fluid was topped up was when the pad material was quite low there may be excess brake fluid in the line and reservoir and you’ll need to unscrew the brake fluid reservoir and drain a small amount off. Be very careful not to let the level drop too low or to allow any air into the line.

6. Coat the back (but definitely not the front!) of the new pads with a very thin coat of brake fluid, this is mostly to ensure the caliper pistons have a thin coat too. Install them in the same fashion as the old ones making sure everything, including the anti rattle pads if present, fits back together in a logical and relatively easy fashion. Nothing should have to be forced (the caliper pistons are the exception here, even if there isn’t excess brake fluid they’ll still require a good, firm push to slide back into the caliper body).

7. Ensuring everything is in place make room between the pads for the rotor and slide the caliper body back on.

8. Bolt the caliper back onto the forks tightening the nuts to the manual specified torque. If you don’t have a torque wrench (I don’t but they would be a good investment) make sure you don’t over tighten them but that they’re on firmly and are definitely not going anywhere.

That’s about it; most of this is really obvious stuff and can be seen from just taking the stuff apart. The biggest worry about fiddling with the brakes is the brake fluid becoming contaminated. If the pistons push back into the caliper body this definitely shouldn’t be a problem as the brake line will never have been opened as you’re just replacing the pads.

If you do need to open the brake fluid reservoir make sure you keep the fluid level above the intake point at the bottom of the reservoir so that no air enters the line and to top it up when you’ve installed the new pads.

Good luck with it.
  5. Thanks for all your help but whats a spaner day
  6. Look at the announcements section and the calendar sections and all will be revealed.