Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Still loads to learn about cornering....

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Bigchief, Jan 10, 2008.

1. ...last weekend I decided to take a ride out to Church Point and when I got there, I thought, what the hell, I may as well continue on to McCarrs Creek Rd (since I read so much about it on NR....the Terry Hills Tavern meets etc.)... :grin:

Anyway, nothing like McCarrs to remind you that there's much to learn about cornering , counter-steering, counter-weighting etc.

I took it easy of course and was a fun ride. Loving it....can't wait until those skills improve! :LOL:
  2. That is the right attitude.
    Keep that up and you'll get the skills and have the added bonus of being alive to use them.
  3. +1 on the attitude :)

...but what's counter weighting?
  4. Isnt that at the bottle shop on a Sat night? :grin:
  5. :grin: :grin:
    I'm sure I read it in the MSF book that I bought. I'll check it up tonight and come back to you... all new to me...
  6. + 2 on the attitude. :grin:
  7. From what I've been able to find...(not in the book as I am at work :LOL: ):

Practice turning at low speeds, and do not forget to use the counterweight technique to help balance your motorcycle at slow speeds. This means to put more pressure on the outmost footrest, leaning the upper body outward opposite the turn. You can also move off the center of the seat, opposite from the turn, to improve balance and turning capability.).

Maybe in Oz they use a diff. term to MSF for it?
  8. I think they mean really low speed - 5 kmh stuff - where it pays to lean outwards to help counteract any tendancy for the bike to tuck in. That's where the front wheel wants to turn more than you want it to.

This is carpark or off-road technique, rather than on-road.

Trevor G
  9. +1!!!!

Don't be counter weighting in the twisties at speed!
  10. I know exactly how you feel. I did a run through Reefton last week. Those corners are intense and just don't stop coming at you.

(and the fairings in the trees put me off a bit too !!)
  11. Better follow any motard guys then...
  12. Ohh, technical foul on Flux!! :p

He's a noob maaaann!
  13. I know exactly where you are coming from. After 8 months of riding to work and back every day (some 20,000kms) I did some real recreational riding over the Christmas break. I rode the Black Spur a few times and other mountains in the area and quickly learned that I have so much to learn.

On the bright side, after a few times doing this, I found that I was already much better at negotiating bends.

My next step will be to do it all on a higher powered bike than that VTR250.
  14. wwwwwwwwwhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :LOL:

15. That would be an example of leaning INTO the corner...