Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stiff Clutch

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by mattb, Jul 19, 2006.

1. It always presents a bit of a work-out, but throughout the space of an afternoon's riding today, my clutch became stiff / hard to pull, to the point of putting painful strain on my wrist. Is there a likely cause and fix for this?

Cheers, Matt.

2. The clutch cable maybe in need of some oiling.
  3. more likely if it did it quite suddenly, the cable is starting to come apart, and bits of wire are catching on the sheath - you'll end up with a broken cable sometime soon if you don't check it and replace if necessary. .
  4. Also check the actuator under the transmission cover it may also need a good lube job they are a triple start screw thread and the balls that ride in the grooves may have started to disetergrate.
  5. If all of the above check out ok then the clutch basket is probably notched.
  6. The older Z's with the cable clutch can be a bit like that. Start at the lever, thorugh clean up and remove all old grease, then some lithium grease on moving parts. Oil the crap out of the cable while youhave it apart, I like engine oil for this.
    Move down to the left side of the engine and remove the side cover with the clutch actuator mechanism in it. Clean all old grease off and relube with lithium again. remove the clutch push rod from the engine (just slides out, and clean and cover with lithium grease. force some lithium grease into the pushrod bore too. This will definitely help you.
    If that fails, you can get a really cool roller clutch push rod thingy, that goes under the clutch basket. It's not too hard to fit, but you have to take right side cover off and take off clutch cover. Say an hours work or so.
    These things get rave reviews from teh old Kwaka guys, and Kwaka went to this system in later engines.

Regards, Andrew.