Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stiff Clutch Pedal - Cant Change Gears

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Fenji, May 27, 2012.

1. Hi All,

I am riding a brand new motorcycle, and over the past day (ive only had the bike for two days) there have been times where the gear shift pedal has been super stiff, to the degree that i couldnt change from first to second gear.

What could be causing this? Is it the cold weather? Is it something i am doing?

Help would be much appreciated
  2. needs new muffler bearings.
    take it back.
  3. Can you explain that to me? Im a noob, so dont really know the connection between muffler bearings and the clutch pedal
  4. firstly he's yanking your chain.
    second the clutch is operated by your left hand
    third try this: with the bike OFF, work through the gears. use your hand if you prefer. work them up and down. if they work fine then it's your clutch technique, NOT an issue with your gearbox

it's not much, but it's a start
  5. thanks mate. ill have a look now.

other dude, u are a douche
  6. take it back and demand they check the muffler bearing clearances
  7. if it is my clutch technique, what might i be doing wrong? I am new to motorbike riding, and have never driven a manual car, so am totally new to all of this.
  8. without being able to see you in action i can only suggest you're just not pulling the clutch enough, or trying to shift too early. or you could just not have your foot int eh right spot (if the tip of my shoe is under my shifter (not my foot) then it won't shift)

i've never ridden a new bike before, but i would think you'd need to yank the clutch all the way because things haven't yet bedded in (clutches have plates which in time wear down)

it could also simply be it's tight because it's all brand spankers new

one of the "old hands" will likely chime in tomorrow and have a better idea of what you're doing wrong
  9. I'd suggest checking the clutch cable adjustment. If there is too much free play, you may not be fulling disengaging the clutch when you pull in the lever, which will make gear shifting more difficult.

Edit: if it's not hydraulic.
  10. Your powerband may be worn out.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The powerband is unlikely to be worn out on a new bike. Could be the torque curve needs adjusting tho.
  12. How did you pass your learners without knowing how to operate a clutch and change gears...

Or are you just taking the piss?
  13. well if the chain hasn't yet been properly yanked, I'd be asking the dealer to start by looking at that.
  14. mate i dont know when you did your learners, but you only get to second gear. So this problem wouldnt happen during the learners course.

If you dont have positive help then why waste your time posting?
  15. What kind of bike do you own mate?. Is it all the time?, only when the bikes cold?, Is there any weird noises while trying to change?, are you operating the clutch correctly while trying to shift?.... You need to put down a bit more info of you want some help or else people are gunna think you are just screwing with them and as states above... Taking the piss.
  16. * At what speed is this happening?
    * Or are you trying to shift when stationary?
    * When trying to shift, is the throttle (right hand) fully off?
    * Is the clutch lever (left hand) fully pulled in?

If it does have a problem, take it back to who sold it to you and ask them, a new bike should be covered by warranty.

By the way people are justifiably mocking you because writing "clutch pedal" in the thread title makes you look either totally clueless or not serious. There is no clutch pedal on modern bikes. There is a gear shift (left foot) and a clutch (left hand). As you ought to know already. Oh, wait ....

* How many wheels does your vehicle have? (Maybe it's a car :LOL:)
  17. Fenji, this is a forum - you will get all types, PLUS It's the aussie way to give the new guy a bit of a roasting. Take it in good humour and an on the chin. While you're getting your muffler bearings checked and your chain yanked, be sure to get your blinker fluid topped up. :)

Anyway, from a serious point of view, take the bike back to the shop and raise your concerns - they'll sort out in a few minutes whether it's you or the bike. Or hire an instructor from the school you got your L's from to spend an hour consolidating the basics. That will be $60 well spent. If you're in Melbourne, get onto the saturday morning L sessions.

Genuine questions. Do you know what a clutch lever is? Do you know what it does? Do you know when you have to use it?
  18. Just take it back to the dealer and let them deal with it.
  19. Get em to check the swingarm bottle holder.
  20. Gees its obvious he is dead green.Its like shooting fish in a barrel.Defiantly take it back to the dealer,they can at least check your clutch play,some bikes also have an adjustment available internally for evening up the gear selector.Another adjustment is available by pulling the gear lever off and moving it up or down on the splined shaft,its so your foot only needs to move in a comfortable ark without lifting it off the foot peg.What bike is it,don't be put off by the pisstake,its usually reasonably civilised around here.