Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sticky drum brakes

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by roh, Sep 3, 2009.

1. So the rear brake on my Z200 is not releasing after application.
    The pedal will return to its normal position after braking, and the brake rod will return too, but the brake cam lever won't.
    If I manually push the brake cam lever I can disengage the brake

I haven't had the chance to open it up, but is there anything I should be looking for when I do, or newbie mistakes to avoid? My guess would be broken or fatigued springs inside the drum.

Thanks
    Roh

2. That can happen when the brake shoes get very worn and the cam rotates so far that it won't release easily. A lot of bikes have a cast in mark on the brake backing plate that indicates the maximum travel for the lever, if it moves farther than that when the brake is applied, you need to replace the shoes.
    Other than that, undo the rod and torque arm, pull the axle out and remove the backing plate (may or may not need to remove the wheel) and then remove shoes, dismantle the shaft from the backing plate, clean shaft and bush and lubricate with grease and reassemble. Gives you a chance to inspect the shoes for wear at the same time.

3. Thanks mole, you were right on the money.

There was plenty of meat left on the shoes (which I expected - the max travel indicator was well within spec).

The problem was with the brake cam - it was so stuck that it needed a few solid hits with a hammer to remove. Cleaned the brake dust/old grease glue out, re-fitted with fresh grease and it now returns freely. Not a difficult job really, despite having to remove the wheel.

Looking forward to tomorrow - perfect test ride weather!