Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Steve McQueen & Motorcycles

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Sooty, Aug 7, 2009.

1. If you haven't seen "On Any Sunday", then you've missed some classic Steve McQueen moments.

And, of course, you MUST watch 'Le Mans'......
  2. both gold.. just gold.. we need a video night at your place paul
  3. I have them both on DVD, (I saw them when they were first released in cinemas, many moons ago) and I have a nice big plasma on which to display them :)
  4. Trust me, you don't. But a video night so that the young whippersnappers can see a REAL motorcycle movie would be a good move (or a good movie, as the case may be) :roll:
  5. I remember seeing on any sunday II at the russell st cinemers. Twas the first time I saw this amasing place called Isle of Mann and one bloke did a fast lap with a camera on his bike. From then on the IoM has been on my bucket list.
  6. I don't know if you've seen the first one, but it's heaps better than II.....
  7. Been a while since I've watched OAS, but if memory serves didn't Steve Mc enter most races under under alias of Hervey Wallbanger ?

The gutter he was referring to was a std gutter you would find outside your own house :LOL:

I will admit watching Malcolm Smith tear up the competition in the m/cross races was inspiring :)
  8. On any Sunday 1 was, and is, the best motorcycling movie ever made. 2 was alright, I liked it because of the amount of Yamahas in it, but it wasn't the same as the first. (I don't think any of the guys from the first had anything to do with the sequel.)

Hornet, is Le Mans any good? My dad, a screaming, giddy, weak-at-the-knees Steve McQueen fan said it wasn't much chop?
  9. Harvey Mushman.

One of his best quotes comes from the movie LeMans:

"Racing is life. Everything else is just waiting."

I think we can all take a little something from that. :)
  10. :shock: So Mr. Buells Fluids in frame idea isn't so original after all!
  11. There's lots of bad press about "Le Mans'. It WAS very much an indulgent project on Steve's part, and you have to love car racing, and the whole 24-hour race concept, to get into it, but I watched it first in a theatre, and then again recently, and it stands up pretty well. There's minimal plot, but it's got a wonderful atmosphere.
  12. Highway 61 - the cafe on Sydney Road opposite Harley City has an interesting array of motorcycles on display - including an rather nice Indian from Steve McQueen's own collection.

Not a bad cafe with a motorcycle (mainly Harley) theme and decent food.