Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stepping stone or straight to the mother of all bikes

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by UglyFish, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Should one go straight to a big cruiser from A 250 (something like an M109) or should one consider a mid size cruiser as the next step - your thoughts please.

2. Get a turbo 'busa. It's your only choice.
  3. By the look of your profile, you've already made up your mind.....
  4. Mate its a tough call, there is a big diffrence to a 250 to a big bike.
    Even the weight alone is sio diffrent.

Im no expert in this area as i myself am on a 250, but i have tried a harley and it was a very big diffrence, for me personally i will be going to something bigger then about a year after that step up again.
    That way i ease my way into it, the last thing i want to do is ride a massive bike and come off because its jsut way to diffrent.
  5. why waste a lot of money on an intermediary motorcycle that youll consider a step away from the motorcycle you really wanted? just go for what you want.
  6. M109 could be step too far for you, bud. Best you just move up to a Rocket for now.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  7. :LOL: :LOL:

8. rather loose a few thousand, then jump on something to powerful straight away and kill myself.
  9. that will be entirely your fault. big bikes are nice, comfortable and stable. if you cant keep the throttle under control thats a problem with the rider not the bike.

just go for the bike you want, learn to ride it and enjoy it! besides i doubt that mr stamos will be constantly pushing the limits of grip on it. i dont see the danger youre talking about
  10. Is the vibration on those Jappaharlies that bad? :LOL:
  11. I have gone mid size due to the need to save more for the next bike. Was going to get m109 but dollars were going to be stretched a bit to far so settled on c50. Really enjoying the c50 though, great bike. Looking to upgrade again in 2-3 years.
  12. In the end, the nut twisting the throttle decides how fast you go, and how fast you get there. Some restraint will see anyone ride one successfully.
    How restrained can you be?
    The M109 does it for me, at least until I can supercharge it, or add NOS.

Bigger bikes, tend to have better suspension, brakes, comfort, and oh, POWER!
  13. Go straight to mid size or the M109. Apart from the initial nervousness you will be fine . I went from a 250 to a 1300 and it was not long to become comfortable on it. Not confident but comfortable. As others have said, you control the throttle. Enjoy it. :grin:
  14. Just curious for people's opinions thats all - I went from a GV250 Hyosung to a Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 mean streak despite the "DIRE WARNINGS" of too big etc etc. I am absiolutely in love with my baby and would have definitely regreted anything smaller.
  15. For my two bobs worth...go get the bike you want now. You'll ride appropriately till you get used to it just like you probably did with whatever bike you got first. I have only made the step to a mid size cruiser and I was 'scared'. For some stupoid reason I thought it was going to ride me!! I keep away from show rooms because I know I could handle more I just can't justify it. Oh and by the way...if your Japaharley is vibrating too much there is something wrong with it!! :wink:
  16. Thank you guys! :grin:

It's been my gut feeling that I'll be Ok (come the time) going from 250 to 1100, despite the nay-sayers' "Oh that's a BIG jump in cc's and weight!"
    It's not necessarily a Powah thing for me in a bigger bike but in essence their larger "presence" is verrrrry appealing :grin:

... and oh, did I mention, they are HAWT! :demon:

Thanks Uglyfish for your OP Q, and subsequent replies recieved, it's given this newb a confidence boost too :)
  17. Meh, it's a cruiser. What's it gonna do, go fast? Get the one that makes the loudest noise.
  18. Nice work on the bikes there!! You be at the N00b ride this Tuesday?

Oh, Loz, cruisers are for those who don't wonna just point & squirt :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  19. ...or brake, or go round corners much. But they're shiny! :p
  20. hahaha like the sig says, sparking thru corners :LOL:

and we can carry a pillion, in comfort, to perth if we like, without them looking like a koala on an ejector seat :LOL: