Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Steering wheel, three wheels, is it a car or a trike?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Salad Cycle, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Think t-rex except it is 50kg with ct110 wheels.

This is for registration purposes in NSW.

2. motorised billycart :D

sounds like ICV territory.. good luck with that :)

3. Depending on the power unit it could be an LB category moped (50cc/50km/h/3-wheels).

Otherwise you need to read the Category definitions for LE, LEM, LEP and LEG vehicles here. The intent of these is to determine whether a vehicle is a motorcycle with an extra wheel or a car/truck with one missing.

The individual states will have different procedures for engineering, roadworthiness and rego but they will all require the vehicle to fall within one of the L-group ADR categories.

4.  Top
  5. I never said 50kg. There is no limit on what an LB moped can weigh, which is why you can, technically if not in actual practice, buy a Piaggio Ape here (assuming the compliance holder has not yet gone bust) and drive it on a moped licence (in such states as have such things).

6. #6 oldcorollas, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    he said she said :D
    sounds like an ICV rather than a modified current vehicle = sounds painful..
    SC, what did your engineer say?

streamliner is now a 3 wheeler?

NCOP VSB14-LE1, trikes, although 2 wheels at front would be LE2.. no guidelines yet?
    re: LE2

7. It will fall under the LEP2 classification because the seat will not be saddle type.

CT110 tyres I am told only last 3000-5000km which is terrible compared to my cbr125r tyres which lasted more than 18,000km. So there is no saving to be had from ct110 wheel/tyres.

No mention of steering wheel so steering wheel is fine.

8. what did your engineer say?

9. He said I should have a look at the ADR's and make sure it satisfies them.

• Funny Funny x 1