Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Steering Stop...

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by RainMann, Jun 19, 2007.

  1. I posted this in the Politics, Laws, and Government forum, but i thought i'd ask here too.

    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but i am getting mixed advice on my problem here. hopefully someone might know if my bike is roadworthy? I need to know because im selling it.

    I came off my bike about 18 months ago and snapped off the steering stop (usually located above the forks and behind front light, or behind/below the triple tree) that prevents your handlebars (or forks in some cases) from turning too far in and hitting your fuel tank.

    does that make my bike unroadworthy?

  2. Allow me to put it in the correct section for you ;)_

    It may make your bike a write off.

    That stop is typically cast on the frame. When I sheared mine off they wanted to write my bike off, I insisted that they repair it without replacing the frame.
  3. Hey guy's.

    The stops can be cast on either the frame or the lower triple tree and if one or both are missing then you are unroadworthy, not necessarily a write off..

    Now according to the letter of the law you have to replace the stop either by getting a certified machine shop to weld a stop on and hand over a certificate stating it is as strong as the original item. Alternatively if you were lucky like me and the stops are cast into you lower bracket. then you can replace the lower bracket and everyone is happy.

    Word of warning: lower triple trees are expensive items, you will need to replace the bearing unless supplied new and you will have to obtain a roadworthy certificate for the repairs. Machine shops are a dime a dozzen in most capital cities but the all charge like lawyers who work double shifts at the local "night club". Expect pain for teh certificate.

    disclaimer: This expensive bit of experience was gained under the QLD motor transport rules and may not in any way reflect how the process and or additional requirements in you state.