Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Steering stem bearings?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Bjpitt, Dec 10, 2014.

1. My Honda Spada has developed slop in the steering stem. When I apply the brakes, I can feel the stem move a mm or two. The stem nut isn't loose, so I guess the bearingsneed replacing? If feels fine to steer, no change over time with that.

Anyone recommend a website to buy from?
  2. Might not need replacing. The stem nut is very unlikely to come loose as it's helm in place with a locknut. To set the tension you'll need to slacken off the top shock clamps and the nut on top, then remove the top triple clamp. With that off you can get to the head-stem nut and locknut and set the tension to compensate for the bearing wear. Just don't go over tight.
  3. Thanks, I'll give that a go first!
  4. if your going to the trouble of 1/2 way disassembling the front end, do the job properly and disassemble the steering head and actually inspect the bearings for damage and wear. At the very least re assembly with fresh grease and tensioning correctly will make a noticeable difference.
  5. have just lifted the front wheel and given it a wiggle to confirm the problem is coming from where you think it is.

I'd be doing some basic checks before pulling anything apart.

with the front wheel off the ground hold the forks turn them left to right and back to feel for any binding then giggle them back and forth for any freelplay.
  6. #6 Bjpitt, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    iClint, yep no free play in the wheel. I can see the the tiniest bit offreeplay in the steering stem when sitting on it and holding the front brake on. Feeling it through the grips everytime I go over a speed bump or apply the front brake.

Mike8863, yeah good call. I'm even contemplating upgrading the front shocks or front end whilst I'm at it. But then, it is supposed to be my cheap bike! Plus I'm not sure what to replace them with, haha.