Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Steering Locks

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by Shoey, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Just purchased a second hand Yamaha XV250 Virago and discovered that the key for the steering lock is missing. Just wanted some thoughts on whether I should look into getting a new steering lock installed or whether other security locks will be just as effective??

2. Shoey. You in Hornsby?? Me too!!

A disc lock is waaaaaaay more effective than the steering lock. I would have thought it was the same key as the ignition though... Have you tried that yet?

You new to riding? I can take you on some easy local fangs if you want.

3. Nah, the sterring lock is a different key... I have a 250 virago as well. Mind you I haven't used the steering lock yet. I went to the other night, but it was so blimming hard to get to I gave up...

4. :shock: what a pain in the arse! why on earth would they design it that way? :roll:

5. I dunno??? Maybe they changed it later on, mine is a 93 model, but yeah different key and the lock is under a little flap thats hard to access...

6. I have a 94 model and Yamaha have advised that you cannot get a spare key as such, rather you need to replace the whole mechanism. Disc lock sounds the way to go.

Thanks.

7. Pete

Good to see your on a Cruiser. I only got my bike last week so haven't done much riding yet (I did tackle the gorge though - twice!!). Any good rides that a beginner can handle around Hornsby?