Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Steering Lock replacement?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by ReniDze1, May 16, 2016.

1. #1 ReniDze1, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    Hi guys,

My vtr250 06 was recently stolen (Albert Park, Melbourne). Luckily the police found it a few days later, however they have done a number on it. They have completley smashed the steering lock assembly, along with the ignition barrel, tank lid and taken other parts.

Can i replace the steering lock? Their are security bolts attached so i'm not sure how to get it off, nor where to find a new one. Is it possible to just get a new ignition barrel and just not have a steering lock (ill use other methods for locking). I'll post a before and after photo of the smashed steering lock assembly. (the before photo is from 'wrecked bike' i recently bought)

(I actually have just bought a 2003 vtr250 from a wreckers so i can take off parts that i need and put it on my bike. Can i somehow put the steering lock from the wrecked bike on my bike.
    Please Help

Attached Files:

2. Mike - are you sure they're just not Torx bolts? - I can't see from the pics. They were on my CBR. Tight as fcuk though!
  3. Not seeing too much if any type of shape or flute in the bolt head

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Good shout, specsavers for me tomorrow........
  5. Thanks guys-
    Yer they're rounded, maybe if i saw a grove into the head, and after some bashing and tapping, i'll be able to unscrew it with a phillips, then i can screw it back in. ---- Anyone know if a vehicle needs a steering lock to pass a RWC?
  6. I had to replace the ignition/steering lock on a spada. It was held on by two torx bolts. I got a replacement for vtr250 from ebay, It fited perfectly, even the wiring was correct.