Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Steering Head Bearing

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by hughhurst1990, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Ok,

So I was told by my bike mechanic that my steering head bearing needs replacing. I believe him because I have been thinking that lately as well as every now and then I get a click from it under braking.

So my questions are -

Can I do this myself?
    Is it hard?
    What will I need?

I am an aircraft mechanic so I know my way around tools. My bike is a 91 ZZR250.

Thanks,

Hugh

2. I think you just answered your own question :wink:

Not too hard, some others will be able to give you better instructions though :)

3. 1. Remove front wheel.
    2. Remove guard.
    3. Remove all bits'n'pieces attached to the forks.
    4. Remove handle bars.
    5. Undo the bolts that clamp the forks in at the triple trees and remove forks.
    6. Undo bolt at the top of the triple tree.
    7. Remove top triple tree bit thing.
    8. Catch all the ball bearings that just fell all over the floor as the bottom triple tree bit fell out.
    9. PM me for the instructions for your bike to get it all back together again. I have them on my computer somewhere.
    10. Success!

Seriously though. PM me with your email addy and I can send you the workshop manual for a ZZR. It has all the torque specs, pictures, and stuffs.

:beer:

Quick edit: You'll need to be creative and after putting the bike on the centre stand, find something low that you can tie the back grab rail of the bike to. (ie. bumper bar of your favourite old car or something). Tighten the straps, allow the bike to tilt back onto it's rear tyre and the front wheel will magically levitate allowing you to complete the job. ;)

4.  Top
  5. Easy peezy!
    If it's only clicking under braking etc .. not notchy, You may get away with adjusting it instead.

6. If you buy new bearings they will most likely be roller type, in which case you will need to remove all the old races.

All pretty straight forward except for the one on the stem itself: you'll either need a bearing puller or need to grind away a section & hit it with a cold chisel. The new bearing will need to be pressed on as well, but if you have an engineering firm nearby they'll usually do it for nix.

Give it a go!

7. The hardest part is getting the lower bearing off. Careful grinding or heat will get it.

I have to do mine in the coming weeks.

8. Or, if you have access to a welder, you can tack weld a couple of bits of threaded rod (cheap stuff from Bunnies) to it, put a bit of flat bar across the top of the steering stem and wind it off with a couple of nuts. A bit of stuffing around but less risky than a grinder.

A welder can help with the races in the headstock too. Run a bead round the inside of each and the resultant shrinkage will allow them to almost drop out. Or weld a bar across each to allow you to drift them out.

Once you've changed the bearings, don't forget to readjust after 50-100 km as they will almost certainly bed in further under riding conditions.

9. 1-Yes
    2-No
    and 3rdly-if you're an aircraft mechanic and you dont know how to do this, no offense, but I don't wanna be flying in any plane you working on. :confused:

10. Thanks for all your help guys... I spoke to a family friend last night and he said he would help me with it. I'll repost here and let you know how it goes. Probably going to do it next weekend.

By the way movin... Aircraft don't have steering head bearings.

11. Sure they do. How else would they go round corners?

:p