Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Steering Damper

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by dan, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Should I get a steering damper for my R6? I've seen/heard some nasty stories about tank slappers and I would like to be able to protect against it if I ever suffered one. I generally ride pretty conservative (some would call me a wuss); I don't race, but love a good fang in the twisties occasionally at above legal speeds. From what I can tell, you don't always have to be doing something stupid to have a tank slapper that can throw you off... :(

It's a fair outlay (around $700 :roll: ), so I was after some opinions on whether I should invest in one.

2. I reckon its worth it mate,ive had severe tank slappers on bikes without them,to the point where i was out of the seat and nearly snapping my (skinny) wrists!The past 2 Gixxers ive had have stockers on em,but they're almost useless.If you like doing monos past 180ks i definately recommend one,but you can get a slapper just by hitting a small bump at speed mid corner.When i get my new K4 i'll be getting an Ohlins(im a brand name junkie :p ) but you can pick up Sprints for about $600,they do the job just as well really.Get one if you can afford it mate,it might save your life one day. 8) :p