Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

steel or alloy sprockets

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Enrgkid, May 2, 2013.

1. Hey guys, as some of you know, I have a 1999 ZZR250 that I'm working on to get me back in the saddle, now I've managed to find sprockets to fit, but the question remains Alloy Renthal sprockets or normal steel sprockets?

Any pointers??

2. If it's for the road, daily commute, steel is fine. Steel is stronger and more forgiving if the chain is not tensioned correctly (read, neglected chain maintenance). Alloy is weaker and if the chain tension is too much or too lose, it could wear out prematurely or worse, break/lose teeth. Not saying it can't happen to steel sprockets either, just more likely on an alloy sprocket.

The only real advantage of alloy would be weight...so unless you are going land speed record or a light weight bike, steel is fine.
  3. #3 Tinkerer, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
    There is a third option. I think Renthal, JT & others make sprockets which have an alloy centre but the teeth are made from a higher grade steel than the ordinary steel sprockets. They are riveted together. Both light weight and long lasting and look pretty.

Probably a bit too flashy for a zzr250, and probably not made fot it either though. Generally you would use alloy only for racing, and steel for street/general use.
  4. It's a ZZR250 with all that that implies. Go with steel. The only practical reason for using alloy sprockets is to reduce weight (more specifically unsprung weight) which is important if you're chasing tenths of a second around a track but matters not a jot if you're a relatively inexperienced rider on the road with a bike that has to serve as durable everyday transport.

I have heard it said that hard anodised alloy sprockets wear as well as steel if not better but, IMHO and in less than perfect real world conditions, I consider this claim to be utter bollocks.