Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

steam cleaning a bike

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by countrycruiser V6, Aug 14, 2007.

1. G'day all, just wondering if anyone has tried steam cleaning a their bike. I know i cant use a pressure washer on mine because of the various seals but was thinking of useing a steam cleaner to get into the areas i cant reach by hand. Is this a good idea or are they just as bad as pressure washers?
    any hints tips or suggestions appreciated. Cheers andrew

2. I use a pressure washer. Just gotta be careful where you spray. ;)

I'm not sure how a steam cleaner would go. Theoretically it'd be fine on bits that normally get hot (engine case, for example), but I think it would do far more damage to the various seals on the bike than the pressure sprayer.

Stick to hand-washing. Get an alloy-wheel brush (or a toilet brush) to get to those hard-to-reach spots.
  3. Hand wash the really icky bits and carefully pressure wash afterwards. I pressure washed the ol' YZF for 18 months and then pulled the forks and rear linkages apart for a service, and they were perfect: no water ingress at all.
  4. i'd be interested to hear the deal with steam washers too and any particular bike parts that won't handle it well.
  5. Questionq

So what is the best way to clean your bike then??

I take mine to a car wash cafe and have them hand wash and polish it..!
  6. Re: Questionq

Thats the best way :)

As long as they don't accidentally knock it over/put water where they shouldn't.
  7. Steam cleaners

Well let me set the scene imagine a 6 month old kawasaki Zephyr 750
    used daily and coming up for spring so dirty as in the motor / fins area.

Met up with mate who owns truck yard and yep you guessed it the diesel fired high pressure steam washer

used weed sprayer to soak bike / engine down with chemteck car soap mixture waited a half hour and then fired the beasty up

took most of the paint of the barrels and crankcases in one foul swoop thought it was soap scum but it was shards of paint.

Lessons learnt

One never ever apply full steam pressure in one go you only need warm water

Two back the pressure off until you know the ramifications.
    :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: