Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

StayUpright Vic Learner 2 Day Course

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Jozlyn, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone can give me a run down/link of what to expect to be doing on the 2 day, StayUpright Learner's Course? The more detail the better!!!! I will be doing the course in the Wimmera at the end of this week 15 & 16/01 and I'd like to know in advance what will happen. I'm the sort of person that likes to be able to anticipate events. I've tried searching this site & Googling but I'm not getting the kind of detailed result I'm after. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm not a complete novice to motorbike riding, but I've not had a massive amount of experience either and only on dirt bikes. Many thanks.

2. If it's anything like the HART 2 day learner course it's something like:

Day 1
    1. Getting on the bike and finding the point the clutch engages, pulling clutch back in
    2. Adding a bit of throttle and moving a short distance, braking, continue this up the range then turn bike around (rolling not with bike on)
    3. Go back down the full way
    4. Going around the outside of the course in first to get some cornering practice
    5. Same thing but switching to second gear and starting to get entry speed for corners correct
    6. Same thing but switching to third
    7. Stop starting around the course to get your take offs going, dropping and upping gears
    8. Some cornering within the lines practice (test item) and general cone cornering
    9. Emergency braking practice (get to 20, stop when they signal ASAP without crashing, allowed to stall)
    10. Slow riding practice.. ride in 18 meter box, complete in over 10 seconds (test item). Basically heavy throttle take off then drop to no throttle.

Somewhere in there was a bit on the controls, indicators, horn, high beam low beam, fuel toggle thing (you're required to operate them without looking as part of the test)

Day 2 first half was a lot of the same, just going straight to the later parts as a refresher (going around course, getting up to third and stop starting). A lot of repeating the parts of the test separately (they aren't allowed to do full test without it being the assessment). Then there was the written test, followed by the practical (split into groups, other group did practical then written).

Main things to get from it all:
    - Getting used to the clutch and its engagement points, their bikes the clutch was really loose I found, so diff to my bike
    - Look where you want to go.. exaggerate for the line part of test. I found this difficult because it was hard to tell if you were in them.
    - Slow riding you just need to grip the tank as hard as you can, focus on something ahead of you and try to be loose. Maybe deep breath and release before going / during
    - Emergency braking you just need to be smooth with the brakes, don't worry so much about stalling / not, engine braking will help you stop quicker

I'm sure they'll tell you all the above and more, but I hope that helped.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hi Jozlyn,
    First day is spent going through what you'll learn, some of the rules you need to be aware of, watching a video on motorbiking etc.
    You get to actually sit on the bike (of course) and practice just getting on and off, finding all the bits and bobs (horn, indicators, fuel tap etc), putting the stand down etc. Then you usually spend some time just practising shifting gears before you actually get to start the bike and ride slowly, just trying to keep your balance. I do believe you spend a fair bit of time also just riding around in a big circle pretty much, just learning how to keep the bike upright, shifting gears, turning etc. You also do your test on the first day, the 'theory' test, that is.
    The second day you do pretty much the same. Get on the bike, ride around in circles, going both ways. You get to practice some slow riding (keep your head up! don't look down!), braking and stopping, turning corners and a little bit of countersteering. They go through what the text covers and how you can fail and pass, and a bit of that stuff.
    You get to practice all the different parts of the test quite a few times (basically running through the entire test, step by step) so you know what to do. Then, you do the actual test and hopefully pass. Once everyone's done their test, you basically watch a video on roadcraft and usually have a bit of a discussion on situations to avoid when riding and such things.

All up, it's quite easy and a lot of fun. I did the two-day learners with Stay Upright in Hopper's Crossing in August, and I did alright. So, if i can do it, so can you. Any questions, just ask! Good luck, and oh, have fun!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks guys, that was exactly the sort of information I was looking for :D
  5. No worries, you're welcome. :)
    Let us know when you get your Ls, and if you're keen on going for a ride sometime
  6. Well I passed easily last Friday (16/01) after doing the 2 day course with Stay Upright at Horsham, I can not recommend them highly enough. It was incredibly informative and a load of fun, as a bonus there was another woman in the group ;) We got the bike roadworthied & registered on Wednesday (21/01) and went for a couple of short rides because it was just too hot for all that gear, we were melting, but I was pretty eager lol. Thursday was also too hot to ride in the afternoon, but I did go over to the local show grounds/football oval in the morning and practiced taking off quicker and smoother and stopping quicker and smoother. Today was almost good riding weather, 30 degrees and a bit blowy, but we ended up going out for near 2 hours, which felt like about 30 mins lol I was a bit worried about going on the Western Hwy with all the B doubles and traffic but it all went well and wasn't actually scarey at ll. I'm now eager to head off for a bit longer ride, unfortunately there's no where much to go in the Wimmera, so we're busy trying to plan something achievable for me while I build my skills & stamina.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Congrats on passing!

Here's to more epic adventures!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Woo, that's awesome@Jozlyn!
    Congrats on passing your test. Have fun on all your priming adventures
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ugh. Priming = upcoming. No idea how the phone managed that one...:chicken:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Well done Jozlyn! Congratulations on getting your L's and now having fun riding :) I'm your neighbour just 100km east along the M8, so I hear you about nowhere to ride! But the ride from Horsham to Halls Gap along the C222 would be great fun, awesome twisties, gorgeous scenery and mouthwatering ice-cream as the reward at the end of the ride.

Very reassuring to learn that you found Stayupright course quite easy to manage. I'm going for mine in Ballarat on the 14/15th of Feb. My problem is I never rode a bike before, ever.... I wonder if it's a bit presumptuous of me to think I can get my L's after two days with no prior experience what so ever. Am I trying to bite more than I can chew?
  11. I wouldn't worry too much about it Fr33dmFr33dm
    I managed to pass my Ls with StayUpright after a 2 day course, and I've never sat on a bike other than as a pillion before.
    You'll do great!
    Also, good call on the ride from Horsham to Halls Gap. It's a beautiful stretch of road to go down on a bike, especially when you're the one in control of it :)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Fr33dmFr33dm the courses are designed with that very thing in mind.. You have 0 experience with a bike.

If you've had previous experience then they generally advise that you do the half day course as its geared towards those that just need to practice on the course for the test.

I'm sure you'll pass your L's without issue.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Thank you very much guys, I was hoping that it was the case! I was reasonably confident until yesterday when I talked with couple of friends who can ride, and both of them had said that I'd never pass and would be wasting my money unless I practice in a paddock with a dirt bike first. Oh well, only couple of weekends left to find out :)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Trust me you will be fine the 2 day course is specifically designed for people with no riding experience. I had some before I went, but not a lot and only dirt bike riding at that. I hadn't thrown a leg over a bike in at least 10 years when I did the course. You will have a ball and you will pass, they WANT you to pass and will do everything in their power to help you to pass! My problem was overthinking it and being too much of a perfectionist, so I had a LOT of problems staying inside the white lines for the left & right turns ('cause I kept dropping my head to look at them, wrong! lol). The quick stop, slow ride & stopping in the box were a piece of cake. You get tons and tons of practice at what you need to do for the test and more importantly HOW to do it lol I did find that the fact that I've been driving for 30+ years and mostly in a manual car did give me an advantage in that I already understood how a clutch works and how to change gears, so that, for me was one less thing to have to think about. You don't go any faster than 20 - 25kmph, or out of 2nd gear, although having said that the instructor was having me go up into 3rd and back to 2nd, whilst giving the throttle a flick to match the engine rev's to the bike's speed. I got so much out of the course, more than I thought I would. I was also "scared" of my bike before I did the course, I have a Honda VTR250, I'm only just over 5ft tall and found that the fact that I couldn't get both feet flat on the ground scarey, even with the suspension lowered, I'm still tip-toeing it. I found that the course totally fixed that worry as it's not that often you actually have 2 feet on the ground lol So now we're not going to worry about getting the seat padding lowered. It was money very well spent, I'd love to do their intermediate course but they don't appear to run it at Horsham, I'll have to ring and ask. A 3 hour drive to Ballarat is not something I really want to do as it would be quite expensive with accommodation etc also.

We regularly go to Halls Gap for ice cream and a look through the shops!!! We actually went on DH's Duccati last weekend, through the hills on the way there and honestly, there is no way I'm ready to tackle those corners, corners still intimidate the heck out of me (ok they scare me lol). We came back the "straight" way as we noticed there was a lot of debris on inside of the road.

Today we're planning to do a run to Rainbow and back, which will take a good 2 hours, I can hardly wait, I'm so excited to get out there and get going.

Are you near Stawell? I'm about 50k's west of Horsham.

PLEASE let me know how you go!!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  15. No, no, no, don't practice on a dirt bike, unless all you're doing is learning the clutch/throttle! Dirt bike riding and road bike riding are completely different. You really are much better off going with no bad habits, then you don't have to relearn anything!!! Somewhere over the years I picked up putting down my right foot when I'm stopped, WRONG (lol), it's left foot down, right foot on the break, in the "Ready" position. The instructor spent a lot of time saying "Are you ready Jo'?" to me because I kept putting the wrong foot down :D I'm still doing it but not every time anymore, in my head I hear "Are you ready Jo'?" and quickly remember to change feet.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Thank you. It's SO exciting and freeing, wish I'd done this 10 (or maybe more ;) ) years ago!
  17. Hey Jo, thank you very much for all the encouragement and explanation, it did make huge difference :) I didn't particularly like the idea of being left to my own devices with a dirt bike in a paddock. There'll be much higher chance for me to damage/break the bike and maybe my neck as well. So I'll leave my training to professionals, I trust they've seen enough raw bike rider wannabes and will take great care of me ;)

I'm in Ararat, bit further east from you then I thought. But hey, we could do intermediate course together in Ballarat (if Horsham still won't catch up), you could stay here with me, it's only an hour to Ballarat which makes it easier! I hope you enjoyed you ride to Rainbow, it's gorgeous day out there!
  18. We had a ball :D There was a LOT of strong cross winds coming off the padocks, which did unnerve me a few times so I slowed down when they were really strong, felt like I was riding at a 45degree angle lol, I wasn't, but we were definitely on a decent lean as I could see by how DH was leaning over to counteract the wind! I only forgot to turn off my blinker once, which I'm really proud of, luckily it was in the middle of nowhere so didn't pose a danger to me. We ended up doing just shy of 200kms in a bit under 3 hours as we stop every 1/2 hour or so for a stretch, drink and a rest (or maybe an ice cream ;) ). I'd say 3 hours is probably my limit at the moment, so that limits us as to where we can go for the time being, while I build up more stamina. While we were stopped at Nhill, the last stop before home, we saw a group of at least 10 riders going past on the highway, they looked "older" like us, so could've been the Ulysses Club. Also, riding with the cross winds buffeting me has now totally made the B doubles not at all scarey on the highway, the winds coming off those guys are nothing compared to what was coming off the paddocks around the back of Lake Hindmarsh!!!! Temperature wise, 30 degrees is still a tad warm when you're all geared up, can't get that gear off fast enough when you stop lol

I also had a bit of a "lightbulb" moment with cornering too (which I still suck at) in that if I lean forward/down, along with rolling the throttle on a bit more, the corners became tighter and smoother, so that was fantastic. But they still make me nervous, I'm sure with time that will calm down though. Unfortunately I don't think there's anywhere out here with lots of corners, roads just tend to be long and straight, but I've asked friends on FB if they know of anywhere, hopefully they'll know of something I don't yet!

I'm super hoping hubby will roll the Duccati out of the shed today so we can go out again :whistle:

I'll let you know what I decide to do about the intermediate course, I've checked their website and they don't seem to be running it anywhere at the moment. Make sure you let me know how you go with your Learner's!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Okies, I just checked their website again and they are doing intermediate courses in March & May, but they're in Port Melbourne ARGH! Pity they don't do training in SA, as I'm basically half way between Melbourne & Adelaide.
  20. You had absolute ball yesterday JozlynJozlyn! Sounds awesome :) And yes roads further west are so straight... I drove to Naracoorte the other day, could have dozed off in my car and still arrived there! Well done coping so well with the crosswind, as you say trucks will have nothing on you now!
    I can't wait for my first ride however scary it will be. I should've booked my L's in Horsham too, but for whatever reason decided mid Jan was too early. Boy, I'm paying for my decision now :( I bought my bike yesterday, CBR500RA. Will pick it up next week or early Feb. So excited!!!
    As for Intermediate course, I think they run it progressively from all sites, so it should eventually come to Ballarat. I'll definitely ask them when I'll be going for my L's
    Hope you'll have another day riding, it is a bit windy already, but you're a pro now when it comes to wind ;) And the temp is a tad down on yesterday, so will feel much better. Have fun and build that stamina, 3 hours on a bike after just getting your L's is fantastic!
    • Like Like x 1