Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

StayUpright - Intermediate course

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Garbled, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Hi All,

I have been riding for about a year now and have had my P's for just on 4mounths and have booked myself in for the StayUpright Intermediate course at Oran Park for Monday 9th Feb.

Just wanted to ask if anyone has done this course (or is doing the course on the same day) and if they have any tips for the day. Basic plan is just have a full tank of fuel, wear all the gear I have and see what happens on the day. Also, does anyone know how the lunch facilities are there, or if I should be taking lunch/drink etc.

I am very excited to get on the track and learn new things, hope its a good day!

2. there was an article on that course in the december two wheels if you can find a copy
  3. Thanks for posting that link up and for the detailed review! Definitely sounds like I could learn a few things as I barely passed by P's.
  4. Hi All,

In case anyone is interested, I have done a quick write below up of the course I went to yest.

Initially, we went around the track a few times to get used to the corners and familiarise ourselves with the layout. Then we went to the basics: posture, gripping the tank with your legs, leaving your arms loose and keeping your head up. Did a few more laps and got some feedback at the end.

We then did some countersteering around some cones, and basically controlling the movement so that it was smooth and in control all the time.

Then we went on to braking and throttle blipping - basically controlling your wrist while braking so it was all one smooth movement. Did this a few times, and again was given some useful feedback when we stopped.

After lunch, we went to emergency braking, easing the front brakes, pulling the clutch in, hitting rear brake then hammering down the gears.

The last part was cornering, we got a demo of how best to take corners, look through them and when to apply/not apply throttle, and how to lean with your shoulders on the bike.

All in all, it was a really good day and having built up some bad habits this course was a good referesher for me. They do go over some the really basic things in the course, so I think if you are a little bit advanced this might not be the course for your. But if you are like me, on the P's for 4-6 months you can get a lot from it.

5. Thanks for the info.. I'm booked into the advanced course in April & looking forward to it..
  6. Good to hear you had a good time and learned new things.

The course brought a lot of things to my attention that I wouldn't have thought of before while riding.

You are right that it would suit newer riders.