Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Staying running on Starting

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by booga, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Hello,
    I have bought me a CBR250RR and the thing wont start with just the push of the starter, even if i've just been riding it, i need to apply the throttle just a tad to get it going. :roll:

Whats causing this and how do i fix it :p

Thanks all.
  2. possibly your idle is a bit low, or it is running a bit rich e.g the idle is ok but because it is running rich the idle would seem as if it has dropped.

just a thought.
  3. Sounds like it's not getting enough gas. The purpose of the throttle is to open up the butterflies on the carbs and admit more mixture. If you have to do that when starting, I'd be looking at carbies too.

If it was just from cold I'd be looking at the choke's not working properly, but since it happens when it's warm as well..
  4. These little high strung inline four cylinder engines always suffer this ailment. I have a ZX2R in my garage that I just fixed with a similar prob.

What causes this sort of starting issues is incorrectly adjusted mixture screws and the carbs being out of synchronisation. It can be one or the other or both combined, better to have both these systems looked at!

When was it last serviced?

What you need to make sure of is, are the mixture screws in the four carbs set correctly?
    They should be set at around 2 1/2 turns from the screws being fully seated. You will also need to ensure that the carbies are balanced. If you are unsure how to do this don't even try.

To balance the carbs you need a carby balancer. If you have never seen one take it to someone who has and more than likely it will be your local bike shop so you might as well just get it serviced advising them what the problems you are having.

Hope this helps

5. Being just bought, I'm not too sure when it was serviced last, but it seems to run well otherwise...

I'll look at getting it done tho, and poss take a look at setting mixtures myself (not altogether clueless on engines :wink: )

Does balencing carbies cost much?
  6. My advice is to put the bike in for a full service. It will cost a couple of hundred, but they will look at everything and you'll get back a bike that you can be confident with.
    That's my 2 cent's worth anyway.
  7. I agree, best thing to do noting to the service man what your issues are with the bike.
    Good practice when buying a new used bike or even a car for that matter regardless of what the salesman says is straight away get it serviced saying that it has just been purchased and needs to be checked out noting roadworthy issues also. This is the first thing I do when purchasing new steads.

8. ditto, you might be surprised what the mechanic finds, then again the bike could be fine but how do you know?
  9. I've heard it costs about $100, or free if you come to spanner day :)