Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stay Upright Courses vs Californian Superbike

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Felix, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey All,

Not sure where this should be posted but would love to hear from anyone whose done both the Advanced Stay Upright Courses and the Californian Superbike School.

Should I do both or focus on one or the other ?

Would love to hear people's thoughts or the comparisons by anyone who has done both.

2. I think the superbike school is much more geared to 'how to go fast round a track' whereas the stay upright course (I'm talking the Advanced 2 course here) is more about how to be quick and safe on the road.

I'm doing the Advanced 2 course at Eastern Creek tomorrow so I will let you have my feedback on that course tomorrow evening.

3. A write up would be good, i have been wanting to do the stay upright one for a while, i thinks its called "cornering & braking"
  4. Haven't done any courses but I think if you do an advance course from Stay Upright you can get a discount on insurance with InsureMyRide.
  5. That discount is correct, the hart advanced will suffice as well.
  6. I am booked in to do advanced II and cornering and braking in october and in january.

i hear that CSS in australia is nowhere near at the level of CSS in California.

I also had cornering and braking endorsed to me very highly by [MENTION=30972]ozmotorcycleleathers[/MENTION] maybe they can tell us more.
  7. Worth sending a pm to not4resale. Her was very into css.
  8. How long does the Advanced 2 course go for? For that matter how long does Advanced 1 go for?
  9. It's just a one day course 8-4pm. I've heard the Advanced 1 course is a little too basic and really just an extension of the P's test. Advanced 2 is actually more worthwhile for anyone with a bit of experience under their belt.
  10. I'm doing the Champions trackday/tuition thing at Broadford on Sunday and had previously done the CSS 1 at Broadford some years back, and then level 2 at Philip Island( i think in 05) So the comparison will be interesting all these years later. I found the CSS 1 and 2 useful -but the delivery style of the classroom instructor, who ran both classroom sessions, was too painful to endure for many hours through the day-so I quit being a CSS customer.
  11. Hey All,

Thanks for all the feedback. I love this about Netrider. Looking forward to hearing peoples experiences with these courses and getting into it all myself.
  12. Stay upright Advance 1 Cover the following
    • 1 x night session theory. Riding is a mental thing as well. The Mental riding cycle
    • 1 x Track session all day includes lunch.

Before Lunch
    • Body position on a bike( very basic)
    • Standard braking( down shifting using both brakes)
    • Slow cornering ( u turns hard left and right turns)
    • Cone weaving at greater spead. the quick counter steer to avoid hazards
    • E Braking. ( E braking at differnt speeds and putting you in a position to take off after the brake to safety)
    • E braking in a Corner
    After Lunch

• Cornering For Road conditions.
    • The rest of the afternoon is based on cornering.
    • You will be getting peer assesment.
    • You will be giving peer assesment
    • You will play follow the leader in a group of 5 to learn the lines.
    • Intrustors will follow you and give advice where needed.
    The course on the track is around 90% bike time and all exercises are very repetative Braking excerise for instance is set up on the track in 3 locations and you will do about 8-10 laps of the track. Cornering we did about 20 laps if not more.

I gained a lot of confidence out of the course and even though I used some of the skills alread( blibing and downshifting while braking) it was always good to improve on those skills.
    The Advance 2 course I have been told by the instructors has track elements to it but builds on the above.
  13. OK did the Advanced II course at the creek yesterday.

Overall a really good day and I feel worthwhile doing.

Lots of track time.

They concentrated on lines through corners - track vs road, braking, body position, vision. A few times we would go out to a particular corner on the track and watch several of the instructors taking specific lines through corners, or demonstrating trail braking into corners etc.

Everyone had an instructor follow them on a lap and then provide feedback/advice which I found very useful.

Quite often the instructors would just be following you during a normal session and then provide advice outside of the 'official follow-me lap. Sometimes I had one on my arse for a lap or so and then they would overtake and indicate to follow them - again I found this great.

There were, however, times during the day when I found myself thinking perhaps my money would have been better spent on 2 track days for the same price. To put this in perspective - I consider myself a moderately experienced rider - in that I have several years of riding under my belt, probably 80,000km all up and a mix of commuting, I have done several track days, touring, weekend blasts etc.

However the overall 'feel' of the day was about learning and improving and certainly no chest-beating which you can tend to get at track days. I certainly came away having learnt something and I think my riding will improve because of it (namely moving around on the bike more).

Overall a great day and I would recommend it - especially if you haven't been on a track before as you get plenty of track time with zero pressure to feel you have to go at any particular speed. In fact at least one of my mates who came along, who I have been trying to get to a track day for a while, is now well up for it. I think the day helped get past that initial trepidation on doing your first track day.

Any other Q's fire away.
  14. Well worth considering is Bernie Hattons Top rider course.

They are now doing two a month at E.C. on the Southern loop $245 from memory.
    I worked as a track marshal for the day so I got to watch a lot of people
    improve through the day.

I have done the stay upright and that was great for entry level riders learning skills, but I found it a little boring to be honest and a lot of stuff I already knew .
    But the instructors following was very helpful.

Top Rider course at E.C. is more of a track focused course , well organized
    and fun.
    A photographer shoots all the riders through designated corners
    buy the time you are back in the pits the session is on the lap top where your body position, corner entry , and braking is critiqued ,and vision there is a suspension guy giving advice on set up and teck sessions .And a personal fitness instructor .
    A pre ride track walk to show the lines braking area and apex of each corner which is important as the track designers of new Southern loop have some surprises with off cambers etc and quite technical .

The majority of riders on the day I was there had designated track bikes
    but also road bikes with groups at all levels.
    From fast group with riders knee down through all corners to slow group with a mixed bag of quick to very slow riders.

It is a great way to ride a track without the craziness of a "track day" which can have a bit to much testosterone and danger of being taken out by some crazy with great tuition and for only the extra price of a carton of beer than the price of a track day.

The one thing well learned here was to ride within your comfort zone , the quicker lap times were not necessarily the fastest riders being smooth and consistent through the roll off and braking zones and back on the gas at the right time produced the goods.
    There were quite a few bikes binned by pushing too hard on this challenging track luckily the speeds were not high so very little damage done .............. Mostly bruised egos and scraped frame sliders.

I will be going back with my wife to do this course to help her with her riding skills.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Stay up right I'm I right in thinking you must do the level 1 course or you can't do level 2 ?
  16. It is exactly the same content, teaching style and levels when looking at the Levels 1, 2, 3 and 4. I've done levels in both countries and can confirm that they are the same (save for some minor things like they video you in the US so you can review a short bit of footage with an instructor).

In the US they do offer two day 'camps' that covers everything and offer use of slide bikes etc, which we don't offer here.
  17. No you can jump to any course you want. I believe that with the CSS you must do them in order.
  18. CSS must be done in sequence as each level evolves into the next.
  19. Also which ever course you do you are wasting your money if you dont practice what you learn. These course dont make you a better rider overnight. Practice practice and then do some more practice.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. ...and do track days. THE best way to really hone and refine techniques (and not just track techniques, but roadcraft too) and a whole heap of fun too.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.