Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stay Upright course on the weekend

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by penno2, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Just did the Stay Upright Skills Development Course at Mt Cotton near Brisbane. Thought it might be of interest to other NetRiders to hear a bit about my experience.

In summary - recommended. Highly. $330 (I think?) extremely well spent. For people that think they could use "[p]hysical skill development including posture, obstacle avoidance, braking and cornering – all designed to enhance your safety and riding pleasure" - this is the place to get it.

The course is kinda divided up into 3 parts. Part 1 - theory night. 3 hours of theory, extremely interesting, and totally relevant to bike riders. Part 2 - the following morning you go out to a big bitumen area (see screenshot, my bandit's waaaay up the back), was hot as all hell that day, and practice some of the things you'd learnt about the night before. Emergency braking, obstacle avoidance, stoppies (kidding), basic cornering. Part 3 (the really fun bit), cornering practice. You get to go out on the circuit and ride around in groups, sorted according to level of skill, and practice cornering. This is extremely enjoyable. WHen I heard about the 80km/h speed limit, I thought "boooring" - couldn't be further from the truth. I'm amazed how much fun you can have under 80km/h. How *fast* that can feel. I'd find myself slowing down on the straights, letting the rider in front get ahead (overtaking is banned), so I could hammer round the corners! Fun. I went in the intermediate group, and even in that group we started to learn about leaning our bodies off the bike so the bike could stay more upright around the corners. Man that's fun. No chicken strips on my noo pilot road 2's anymore. :grin:

The instructors were great. Friendly, definitely know their stuff, lots of experience, and nothing seems to throw them. Lots of one-on-one advice.

I'd definitely do it again (and will if I can convince some other friends to do it) and I'm going to do the Cornering and Braking course in the near future.

aV2AYtIi.

Happy to answer any questions. :)

2. Great idea, sounds quite fun too, i think i might do something like this soon. I love to improve my riding skill however possible!

3. yeah actually that's one thing they kept emphasising. The day was about having fun. being relaxed, taking it easy. Pretty much pressure-free, which is important I think. A lot of people (pick me!) wouldn't have been comfortable with the pressure on to "perform".

4. I tried to do this the other day.... but apparently the Mt Cotton center is classed as public road (!?) and my bike is out of rego.

5. I was there on Friday a/noon finding out about the Advance 1 course which is $335.00 i think it is the same course that ur talking about penno2. I have a list of dates so that i can book in when i have the moolah 2gether.

6. Sounds like fun.

Do they have one in NSW?

7. Yeah they're very particular about that. Everything must be roadworthy, registered. They even walk round and check everyone's tyres.

Yeah, looking at it, there's quite a few. They have a coupla courses not offered in Queensland. An intermediate course "designed to fine tune the skills learned in the Learner and Provisional courses". Sounds like a step between getting your P's and the "Advanced" courses. And a "dirt day" - if that kinda thing floats ya boat. :)

8. Uh yep. That's the one I did. You'll love it!

9. So it is a public road then? :? How does that work?

10. They do the same thing at the Broadford track in Vic. IMHO It's nothing to do with being a public road, but making sure the motorcycle is in a safe and working condition.

11. Strange. Race bikes are safer and better prepared than road bikes. I'll give them a call again if it's just a matter of passing tech inspection. I'd even go get a roadworthy, but adding bits of glass to a bike just seems counterintuitive.