Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stay Upright Cornering & Braking Course

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by GM250, Nov 23, 2009.

1. So I did the stay upright cornering and braking course at broadford last Thursday. It turned out to be about 38c and was stinking hot when we werent on the bikes. In all it was a good day and fun. There were only 12 of us so plenty of room on the track. The course covered posture, cornering set up, braking, leaning into the corner, looking further up the road, correct lines. also did some obstacle avoidance around cones on both the straights. We rode the track in the opposite direction at the end of the day which was really different. There was plenty of track time and each exercise followed with a lap so by days end I think I had done about 30+ laps.
    Being a fairly new rider (15 mths) I probably should have done the intermediate course first. I was the slowest by a mile. A few guys there had done it and recommended it. The instructors were pretty good.
    2 criticisms however - the only direct feedback I got was late in the afternoon so I only got 3 laps to practice what I had been told. would have been nice to have this in the morning so I could practice more. Also the cost at $380 is steep. Not sure Id do another one at that price. I see you can now get private coaching at any broadford track day for $150 its graded Level 1,2 & 3 (see the champion site) , this maybe a better option ? Has anyone done this ? be interested to hear.

2. Yep I did an Instructed Champions ride day, $125 for the day + $150 for the tuition. The Instructor was Wayne Maxwell, (So it could be said he was qualified). The class was… 2 people. But this is on a normal ride day, so there will be many non class members on the track.
    I’ll be honest, it was very much focused on how to read a track (specifically Broadford) and to race, so there is not really much you can take back to the road. But it does give you a very different insight into reading corners, improving track position, posture, and so on.
    By the end of the day I came out a little bit faster, but a lot safer on the track.
    (Primarily because of a better understanding of braking and tip in (My mid corner speed and exits was already doing O.K.))