Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stay Up Right (Hoppers Crossing) - Intermediate Course

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by Moochie, Mar 31, 2008.

1. I went for the Stay Up Right Intermediate Course held in Hoppers Crossing on Sunday 30th March 2007. Just thought I'd do a review of what we did in the course.

The day started off with everyone piling into a classroom where the instructors (Rob and Gary) introduced themselves giving background and riding experiance. They then had everyone point out problems that they were having with their riding. Some of the things that came up were confidence on the bike in traffic, cornering, wet tram tracks, gravel on the road, slow speed control, obstacle avoidance and a few more which i forgot.

After signing the indemnity forms and handing them up we all geared up and headed to the training area which was round the corner.

Once there we started off with slow manouvers. The instructors gave an explanation of the uses of the front and the rear brakes coupled with the when and where to use them. They set up a small course where we were to ride in a straight line as slow as we can (like in the Learners course) trailing the back brake while keeping the throttle slightly open. We would enter a series of tight weaves to practice slow speed movement on the bikes. This continued for awhile.

After the slow manouvering was over, they set up a set of cones (as the obstacle) and a slalom course on the other side. We would slalom then take two corners and avoid the cones by using countersteering. It was essentially the same as what was taught in the Learners and P's test but was done at more realistic road speeds. Everyone was avoiding obstacles at speeds they felt comfortable with but above 20km/h. My personal best for this bit was being able to avoid the cones at just under 60km/h. This only happened once and i just barely missed the cones but it made me realize that in the even of this happening in the real world I would not have been able to avoid the obstacle going at a mere 60km/h.

After the countersteering bit we went back to the stay up right office area for a break. After the break we went back into the classroom to work on roadcraft. The instructors explained alot about positioning on the road, frame of mind while riding, scanning and group riding. They then proceeded to talk about the lines we could take when going through blind corners, corners with obstructions where you can't see whats on the other side and open corners. the instructors then began to work on body position while riding, they showed us the position we should be in when cornering and the "ready position" while at traffic lights.

We then headed of for a 30 min lunch.

Once back, we headed again to the training area and worked on emergency braking. Gary showed us a system that we should practice (if we felt comfortable doing it) to the extent that it becomes instictive if we ever do need to emergency stop. He reminded us to squeeze and not grab the brakes and once finished with the emergency stop to be in the "ready" position in the event that there was a car behind us who may not be able to stop in time. Rob then showed us the difference in stopping distance when going at 40KM/H and when going at 80KM/H.
    After the demo, we all had a go at emergency stops at realistic road speeds.

After this exercise we went on to the circuit and practiced the cornering lines. The instructor would lead one person for 2 laps. During that lap the instructor would exagerate the motions that we would go through when cornering and the lines we would take through a corner. After the 2 laps the rider right behind the instructor would go to the back of the group and it continued till everyone had followed the instructor for 2 laps.
    When that was done, the instructor would then follow each rider for 2 laps and give them feedback on their riding, body position, head position and the like.

30 mins before the end we had a free session round the circuit to implement the skills just taught to us. I personally enjoyed this bit the best as there is a nice long horseshoe corner with no obstructions (just a bit of gravel).

At the end of the day the instructors went through the list of problems what we made up at the start and addressed each issue showing how the exercises we did through out the day would help each issue.

We then went back to the Stay up right office for a debrief and to collect our certificates. They also gave everyone an information pack which was basically a summary of all the things they taught us during the course as a reminder in the event that we forgot any particular part.

Before i went for the course I was told that this course would basically teach me the same skills as the Learners permit and not to waste $$. But I decided to go anyway because I believe that there is always something new to learn and even if I only learn one thing from the whole day, the day would have been more than worth the $$ invested.

All in all I had a blast and learned alot about myself and my riding habits.
    I learned that what they teach you in the learners is NOT enough to keep you safe and upright in real world situations. I also realized how far it actually does take to come to a complete stop when traveling at normal road speeds.

I took away alot of new ideas and tools for when I ride on the road and I believe that it more than makes up for the cost I paid at the start.

That is basically my summary of the day and I just thought I'd share my experiance. :grin:

For anyone thinking of doing a course to improve your skills after obtaining your Ls or Ps I'd say just go for it. It is an investment in yourself and the dividends only get bigger as time progresses.

As a result of the fun and knowledge that I gained from this course I have booked myself in for their Advanced Course held at Broadford and a Champions Ride Day Coaching Session at Broadford.
  2. Thanks Moochie, I am due to do one again after a couple of years off my bike
  3. Nice write up, thanks! I used those guys for my L's and P's almost ten years ago so I've no idea who the instructors were. I've been thinking of looking at doing some more advanced training lately and had forgotten their name so thanks :eek:
  4. Glad the review was of some use....... :LOL:

The guys that ran the course when I was there were awesome fun and very helpful.
  5. Go for it.... :)
  6. Do they supply you with a bike or do you use your own?
  7. Good to hear it was so useful, I will be doing the HART version at Tullamarine on 25/7. I really want to try and do 1 course a year to improve my skills etc.
  8. You use your own.
  9. I see, I'm trying to decide on doing this or the HART version which supplies 600cc bikes...
  10. Hi All,

Long time no post, been interstate

I heard that most insurance co may not cover if you drop your bike doing a course. So it would help to call and ask. It helped me decide, thats enough for me.

(Anyone want to buy a 07 blade? I want a 08)