Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Statutory Warranty

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by vic, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Why are motorcycles exempt from being warranted by Statutory Warranty?

Cars are covered but not motorcycles :?

2. I am only guessing but I think it may go hand in hand with the fact that every one considers motorbikes to be a recreational vehicle not a valid mode of transport.
    The more I look at it, this is the first hurdle to overcome in getting us acknowledged in road policy.

3. What IS a statutory warranty?

4.  Top
  5. I think it has to do with warranty on second hand bikes...as I understand it if you purchase a car for over a certain price from a licenced motor trader they need to provide you with a warranty for X months or x k's whichever come up first...with a bike there is no protection by law as there is with cars.

AFAIK motorcycles are not covered by this warranty...no matter how old or expensive they are...so if it's out of manufacturers warranty you may be out of luck...unless the dealer provides a warranty of it's own that you can rely on.

6. It is a warranty provided by an LMCT dealer.

Providing a motor car is less than 10 years old and has traveled less than 160,000km then they are obliged by law to provide you with a 3 month or 5000km (whichever comes first) warranty.

7. Statutory warranties are those that are guaranteed or imposed by law.

As for used bike warranties you can thank Jeff for that. He canned them as a part of his reformist vision for Victoria when the Libs got in.

For that very reason I don't bother buying used bikes from dealers. There's no point. They charge more and don't offer warranties if the bike's manufacturer warranty has expired.

As for "dealer" warranties, yeah right. They are up there with paint protection, rust protection and mudflaps when they're tacked onto car sales and loaded to buggery, pricewise.

Buy a used bike privately, get it checked out beforehand and have any repairs or expected repairs factored in the final sale price.

8. At least you get free tolls and can park on the footpath.....

Second-hand motorcycles (capable of being registered in New South Wales, that have travelled less than 30000kms, and are less than 5 years old at the time of sale) are covered by a Statutory Warranty of 3000kms or 3 months after sale (whichever occurs first).