Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Status of the GOR?

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Mpfprocess, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Girlfriend and I are thinking of staying at a hotel in Geelong, then doing the Great Ocean Road and back during Grand Final weekend. We decided to stay at a hotel before and after to save us doing the extra 200+ km of plain freeway the day of this ride, and we can leave our crap at the hotel.

We are wondering if the road is clear at the moment as I know it recently had some cliff fall onto the road during the bad weather? Also do you think we should go the Saturday? Our thought process was that everyone would be watching the Grand Final, and since we don't care about AFL hopefully the roads would be a bit clearer.

I did this route with some NR Members and will do the same route again: https://goo.gl/maps/htryj758JFH2

Thanks for your input.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Last report I heard on the news was that it's still closed in places
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ah excellent thanks b12mickb12mick, looks closed still. Might keep checking over the week before I book the hotel.
  4. I used your logic to travel the GOR on AFL grand final day a few years ago. You will still get locals in the morning and tourists all day but I think it is still one of the better days to travel that road. The return trip on the inland road was very quiet.
  5. From what I've heard from a mate who lives in the area, you may be looking at extended closure or at least reduced speed limits for a couple of months. They will be working on getting it fully operational for the summer tourist season.
    But all is not lost. The roads inland from the coast are as good or even better, albeit without as much of a sea view. They are also letting people through that have accommodation bookings or business being there. And there is still plenty of GOR open west of Wye River.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. The section from Skenes Creek to Wye river has re opened. But Wye river to Lorne is still closed, although Eastern View to Lorne re opened yesterday morning.

On the upside trucks & buses are currently banned due to lack of turn arounds but a 40km limit is in place for some sections.
  7. Interested in this as well as we'll be down there around that time...
  8. [VIC] - Great Ocean Road

Looks like Girlfriend and I might hold off on it for a little while, do the trip early January instead perhaps.