Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

States Study Regulations for Aging Bikers

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by midnight, Nov 27, 2005.

1. From what I've seen (being a junior old fart)... anecdotely most of the problem older riders aren't people who've been riding continuously since they were young, they are instead returning bike riders.

People who had a bike when they were young, kept the licence and sold the bike, then they later find themselves with spare cash so they go and buy a big bike.

Maybe what's needed is 10 year licence retests... or compulsery retraining courses every 10 years or so.
  2. Must admit that from what I see on the road, the older riders seem to cause agro because of the 'stay in the middle of the lane and don't look in the mirrors' syndrome. If they do look in the mirror it's 'Ef you jack, I'm allright'. This tends to be the case of the larger bikes.
    Older riders of smaller or sporty bikes don't seem to do this.

The younger brigade of course do some pretty wild things like pass on the inside, speed way out of proportion, things like that.

The younger brigade are a danger to themselves mainly, but the older riders seem to me to present a greater danger to others. Whether they drive their cars the same way, I don't know, but I would suspect so.

OK. Now I am going to cop it from both sides.
  3. Guess im in the safe age bracket then , im not old or young , im , as goldilocks would say , just right :LOL: :LOL:
  4. The impending event will age you, mate :LOL:

{psstt, shhhh: 4 posts to 2,000!!}
  5. Often refered to in the industry as "born agains". Not trying to be judgemental but the article has many truths. Motorbikes have changed significantly over the years. So many of the bikes of today are far removed from earlier technologies. Traffic has changed, physical bodies have changed and enthusiastic confidence has only increased. I have seen many licenced riders whom got their licence back in the days when if you got the local cops's fish and chips back to the station, and they were still warm you passed your licence test. Many have never had any formal training and have only learnt throu trial and error. I am not saying that people in this category are bad riders, just simply, like all of us we can improve. I have seen people whom have held a bike licence for over 25 years (mind you only actually riden for a few months of that time) but believe they can ride anything. Some have the intelligence to upgrade their training and the most often heard comment from training - "if only I had done this xx years ago".....

6. [quote="ZRX1200R"
    Maybe what's needed is 10 year licence retests... or compulsery retraining courses every 10 years or so.[/quote]

Yeah I agree. In the last ride I did, I noticed one bloke (50's) looking down at
    the ground and then lossing balance when he was doing U-turns. He had
    a pretty big bike. I didn't want to say anything to him incase I offended him
    (about keeping his head level and looking towards where the bike would
    go -- in this case, over his shoulder).

A 3 hour revision would fix this, and prevent him losing it in the next corner
    his wheel slips on.

There was a poster on aus.moto last week ("re: I came a cropper" or something),
    He lost it in a corner on his 1200 Ninja (one like yours) near Cairns. Moments before,
    he used his back brake exclusively to slow down into the turn... ie typical bad
    practices on a death machine... (maybe you can get away with this on a Harley ??)

Not anything bad to say about older riders, but people do forget the basics.
    If there was a half decent retraining course in Adelaide, I would
    be the first one putting my hand up to go on it.

7. As a 56 yo rider who has been riding continuously for 40 years, I have to agree with the above. It is the 'born again's' who may have held a licence for 40 years, but only rode for 3 of them that are the problem.
  8. As one of the "born again bikers" I agree on the retest idea, just as soon as Victoria introduces the LAMS system, and allows the more experienced riders to ride something better than a tit screaming 250.
  9. A mate of mine is the classic born again biker. He got his learners at age 21, got a 250, got his licence then sold the bike when kids started appearing on the scene.

All the kids are grown now, so he went out and bought a Harley Fatboy, brand spankers. It's his second bike, and the first one to be ridden since the early 80s.

So far he hasn't added to the stats. He's been on it for a few years now and has a few kays under his belt. Thing is, he doesn't take it out in the wet. So, if he was away somewhere and the weather turned to shit, he'd probably have a few issues.

I too am sort of a born again. I sold a bike, a CBR1000 in 1993 to pay for carpet for the new house.

In 1999 I got another bike, a ZZR1100. It was nervous on it. Had problems doing a u turn in a quiet court. 2 days later I went on an overnighter to Bright, first big ride of any kind for 10 or more years. I was about 20 minutes behind the second last straggler coming into Bright.

I've come a long way since then, and in fact I think that I'm riding better than way back when...
  10. I'm a big supporter of the LAMS idea...

and I find it very annoying that Victoria is still one of the hold out states :x

Not that it makes any difference to me, but I honestly believe it would be better for my other half to be learning on something like a GS500 than a GPX250... similar power but the GS500 doesn't have that really annoying "I'm doing 8000 rpm at the speed limit" buzz...
  11. In parallel with the re-test idea what about borrowing the idea of ‘currency’ from aviation? A pilot must log a certain number of takeoffs and landings in a certain period of time in order to “exercise the privileges” of his license. How about a re-test for any rider, regardless of age, if no bike has been registered in his name for a certain number of years? If currency is maintained then no re-test is required.
  12. I wouldn't argue with any of that...
    but I suspect lots of people wouldn't like it much :)
  13. I think it could be a great idea and may well contribute to some riders being safer. The downside is that it would cost money. I cannot see TAC, Vic Toads or bracks paying for it so it would be the rider who pays. We pay a fee to renew our licence (be it car, bike, whatever). To add another fee I can see many would see as taxation. I think that many would not "retest" their bike endorsement if there was an extra fee associated with it. And of course we all know that a certain percentage will ride; weather licenced or not. Hmmm I agree with the concept, but could never see it working. I know as an instructor I have to resit the licence test every two years (and have to pass it at double the standard than everyone else). But I dont think it happens every two years!!!! Vic roads cant even administer the 250 instructors in Vic, imagine what would happen with the rest of bike licence holders!!!

LAMS is only a matter of time for Vic.

14. Mmmm, just what we need, more regulation...

I know what you mean, but I hate the idea of our over regulated, over governed and over charged system having extra items added to it. Call me cynical, but I can see how the safety army managing to make it another way to stop us riding...

Cliff 'cynical old fart'
  15. I'm not worried, I'll have forgotten what I put on the start of any form by the time I get to the end of it anyway....:D
  16. Bike riders are of course in a lot of danger all the time, and I tink a test as in "let's see you ride around the town and up the highway" type test every say 5-6 years past 70.

The great stupidity I see is that we are working, and say driving heavy trucks or being m/bike couriers up until 65. The prime miniature says we should go to 75.

Now, as pro drivers as above, you turn 65. Suddenly you are to be tested by some driving school twit that pretends he knows all there is, and I see quite a few dip sticks in that industry, comes around to test you.
    What a effing insult.

The age specification is rediculous. Would a heavy transport driver, or courier, be happy to stay home for a day to be tested in a Corolla or something to see if he can drive?

Ef off !!!!!!