Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Starting the bugger

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by dialagranny, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Hey guys,

I'm having trouble starting my Spada. As far as I can tell (recent purchase 2nd or 3rd hand) it hasn't been ridden for a while, as I've had to charge the battery, however there's plenty of juice in it at the moment, and I know the bike started easily when cold before I bought it.

At the moment when attemping to start the bike, the starter motor vigorously turns and while the ignition button is held down the engine itself can be heard, but as soon as I let go the thing dies. The killswitch is on run, the choke makes no difference, the kickstand doesn't seem to alter the result. Anyway after filling up the tank, fiddling with the clutch, charging the battery and generally banging my head I'm ready to admit defeat - I don't know what's up.

Any suggestions?
  2. ](*,) Is there a fuel tap to turn on ???? Some even have an "always on" tap but vacuum operated so check ALL the tubes around it
  3. If you can get access to the carbie bowl see if there is fuel in there.

Something in my mind tells me Spadas don't have Prime positions on their taps. So if there is no fuel in the bowls you may just have to crank for a while.

If there is fuel in the bowl and it is still not firing, then I would be pulling a plug and checking for spark. Change the plugs anyway.
  4. Thanks for your help Ducfreak and ibast - yes the fuel tap was on and no there isn't a prime position. My next step is to pull the carbies apart, but tomorrow will be dedicated to spark plug replacement, as they spark weakly and look pretty carboned up. I found one CR8EH-9 at Footscray Repco before work on Friday, and will spend tomorrow tracking down another (shouldn't be too hard) to replace both plugs.

For posterity, and the assistance of any future Spada newbies who may come over this page, if you are like me and weren't given the paper owners manual check it out here: http://hondampe.com.au/docs/owning_a_honda/owners_manuals/motorcycles/VT250L-1989.pdf

Incredibly useful end-user information. The shop manuals are all over the interwebs if you do a quick google, but I only came across this owners manual today. Valuable information that has no doubt saved me asking many a silly question here on NR.
  5. they start within a minute of putting fuel in. Without cranking.

have you tried a decent hill start?