Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Starting my kids out on a bike

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by dane75, Jul 5, 2009.

1. I have 4 kids in total ranging from 3, 7, 10 & 14 so I thought I would get them a little bike to start em off riding and hopefully get them interested.

Got a Kawasaki KLX 110 second hand and have the middle two instantly into it. Was great seeing them start off slowly with a huge grin on their faces and building up confidence on it. I have the throttle limited with a screw so it only goes a third of the way round till they get more in control.

Can't wait till they have the skill and confidence to rip around on it, even better when I can get a trail bike myself to go along with them.

Sorry for my proud parent dribble but I am pretty happy about it lol

2. fan-blooming-tastic!!!!!!!!!!!

I can just see the grins-from-ear-to-ear :LOL:.

3. Awesome. I started out on an old Suzuki DS80. Best fun i've ever had on a bike, ripping around my Pa's farm at age 9.

Thanks Dad.

4. That's the way.

I am hoping to get my boy on a bike when he is old enough, even if he has to start with training wheels on a pw50 :p

Oh and pics

5. Awesome, thats great. If they are having steering problems, just tell them to look where they want to go, and that should work. Cant wait to be a Dad, just not yet... A few more years.

6. well done dane ,spending time with your tribe and doing something you all like is gold ,keeps the kids off the streets and teachers new skills well done, cheers bazz :cool:

7. won't be having kids for years and years but even i look forward to puting them on their first bike :D probably a pocket bike of some sort? then i can get in on the action :p ha

8. I'm kind of in this situation now, my daughter wants a bike, but we still aren't sure on whether to get her a four wheeler or small bike like a pw50. Will the bike be mainly for the older kids or the younger ones too?

9. Good work, mate.

10. It's great to see them start out~~~~

My son got his pw50 at the age of 4, quickly grew out of that one and into his DS80 by the time he was 9... upto the suzuki 125 by the age of 14~~~

He is now 24 just got his bike licence and is saving for his big bike with confidents plus~~~ It really does pay off starting them as young riders!!

11. I started young and thank my father for bringing me into the world with motorbikes to play with :grin:

I actually started on a REALLY old 4-stroke 250, taking it real slow (after sitting on the tank riding with my dad) and after a couple goes on that (obviously being too big and heavy) i moved onto a honda 80cc dirt bike, then 100cc kawasaki, then 200cc kawasaki... also yamaha 250 (all dirt bikes up until now). Now i got a the suzuki road bike (recently sold my dirt bike :( ) and i really love it.

I believed it when someone told me that a passion like this is really easy to aquire when you have been exposed to it that much when you are young.

I used to wish i lived on a farm so i could ride motorbike all day lol.

Definitely a top job in my opinion in giving your kids the chance to grow up with motorbikes. I'll do the same when my time eventually comes :) .

12. Thanks everyone, glad my sentiment is reflected by so many

Didn't get any pictures but got a short video of them, will get some pics next time I manage to get them out (get home from work too late to take em out each day)

Hopefully the little bike keeps the older ones entertained for a while and is still going strong enough for the youngest to learn on and get a fair few years out of it

13. Good on you for taking the little ones out. I regret not getting into bikes till I was in my 30's. My dad used to ride when he was younger and also had to ride for work, but I think my mum always made sure we were not seeing bikes around the house as kids.

14. Trail bikes = hella fun... but honestly there is no way I would let my kids (If I had any) or recommend anyone who has not come off their P's on the car (3 years) get on a road bike. This would be hard to enforce if they are riding from such a young age.

There is just too much to think about on the road without having to think about riding the bike well too when you start out in traffic. imo of course

15. I understand what you mean, and i wasn't allowed to get a road bike till i was able to show consistently from driving a car, to just other random events, that i would be a sensible rider and do what i can to keep myself safe before i was allowed by my mother and father to actually get a road bike.

It took a bit of proactive effort to slowly entertain the idea which finally ended in me getting my L's and demonstrating i have all the appropriate protective gear on when i ride.

IMO it would be stupid to NOT be cautious on the topic of if your kid would be ready to ride on the road or not because frame of mind makes alot of difference in the way you ride i found. But just getting on a bike doesnt automatically mean you're going to have an accident and die.

16. I think starting on a bike instead of a car is much more sensible, especially for young adults. Driving a car can develope poor habits and a sense of security, and learning to ride after learning to drive means that the rider might ride the way they drive a car, and we all know too well that riding requires a completely different mindset than driving. Older blokes going thru mid life crisis and buying a ducati are more at risk than first time road users that take up motorcycling as their first mode of transport. I reckon teaching them early about the control of a motorcycle will make it one less thing to focus on when getting out on the road.

17. I'll heartily disagree with that. There is too much going on when you are an L on the road to properly protect yourself at first. You are not used to traffic, the general dickheads on the road and their tendencies of what they are likely to do and where they could pop out from, let alone management of dealing with a situation that might come up. You don't know what to look for and expect and would not drive 'defensively' enough unless you were a real pussy. Filtering alone is a tricky proposition when you don't really (through experience) know where to expect cars to come from, let alone deal with head checks, gear changes, going up hills etc.

There are aspects to riding a bike which are 50 times more important than in a car such as gearing control/revs/braking bias/lean/indicating/ which I think you need to have a healthy respect for from a car (to a lesser extent of course) before you throw dodging cagers in on top of it.

I can't imagine how shit scary it would be being an 18 y o jumping on a bike, which again brings in scare responses and nervousness.

I'm of the mind that I generally feel 'safer' on the bike as it is zippy and can go anywhere, but I don't pretend that in an accident you are highly unlikely to be screwed big time compared to a car. In my car I actually probably drive more hoonishly (though I generally go faster on the bike - and I drive a wrx), but again part of that is the car can handle more without catastrophically losing control etc. (different topic for another time).

As a bonus of my 'rule', insurance would be a bit cheaper and by the time you are 21 (at least) you should have more cash to properly buy the best gear you can get which is of course well worth it. You might even have a 3 year ncb to use from driving a car if you get away without any incidents.

I just feel that after a few hours at a learning centre you get your L's and are thrown onto the road without nary a care is a very scary prospect indeed.

It takes years of regular (a la commuting) driving to get used to what to expect on the roads, and to deal with roadrage, emergency responses/road surfaces and just all-round unexpectedness for good defensive driving. A car is a much safer prospect to find the edges of limits of grip/braking distance/depth perception and distance/speed estimation etc etc.

I wouldn't want to increase my chances of injury by doing this stage of learning on a fragile machine with next to no protection.

I think it is obvious to anyone 'into' motor vehicles that cars and bikes do require completely different mindsets and respect that accordingly.

I do concur though that riding a motorbike does make you a better car driver by far.

I'm not trying to argue with you by the way, just respectfully disagreeing.

18. If they've been riding dirt their whole life, the public road will bore the hell out of them. Let them buy a track bike if they're curious about the black stuff.

19. I agree with Ari. On top of what he said, being on your L's with a car also requires the 120 hours where you have a fully licensed driver by your side telling you whether or not you're doing it right as opposed to being by yourself on a bike.