Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Starting a cold bike?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by speedysnaill, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Well, um, I bought my very first bike on Wednesday, lost the keys that night, got new ones Thursday, but it has been raining and cold ever since! I tried to start her up when there was a bit of a dry spell, but nothing kicked. Battery revved a lot... that was it. Had choke on, rocked her with front brake on, and changed the choke a few times. She's been undercover but has a smattering of rain on the front.

Can anyone help me out? It's a Suzuki Across (250 obviously).

Cheers!

2. check the kill switch and your fuel tap?

3. +1 - start with the basics - sitting for a coupla days and the rain shouldn't be big issues (after all, how do they keep going when riding in the wet :wink: ) You may have flooded it whilst trying to get it started - try cranking it over without the choke and hold the throttle wide open, see how you go.

4. Normaly after I checked everything (I find that I forgot one of the two kill switch or fuel tap).

I sometimes have trouble starting my bike when its a cold+wet morning. If just wet or just cold I wont have any problems. On wet and cold mornings I just put on the choke(like I normally do when the bike is cold) and use abit of throtle she starts fine. After she starts I jus need abit of throtle to get the revs going abit ather wise she'll go back to sleep... I do all this when my bike is cold.

Hope this helps....

5. Well, it ended up being (we're pretty sure) moisture in the spark plugs :? My boyfriend came round to have a look, took a few hours, we even got the hairdryer onto her. Then as a joke he's like "where's the closest hill, lets push start it" (please note, i live on the Adelaide plains, there are no hills!). Basically I pushed her a few times and the engine got excited but didn't fully kick over. Then finally after a big push she started off and my boyfriend went racing down the road! :grin: WEEEEEOOOOOO!!!!

I've learned my lesson. Start your bike EVERY day, especially when it's wet and cold, even if you're not going to ride.

Cheers!

6. my bike used to go without being started for months at a time. and even now when i "ride" it can go 1-2 weeks and still starts first time every time. 19yr old bike. my point is, theres no need to bother with once a day starts, and if youve started it, go for a ride anyway :p

7. i would suggest you replace the battery, it might have power to crank the engine but not enough power to create a spark, bikes sitting for a few days/weeks should never cause a problem with it starting

8. Battery and Spark plugs while your there

9. One of the most used items in my garage is the battery charger. I usually leave the key in the ignition at least once a year. :roll:

10. When i first got my across (last monday :p ), The dealer had trouble starting it. I havn't had a problem since, and he told me at the time that because of the fuel tank position in the across, it needs a vaccuum pump to run the fuel up to the engine. When the bike has been sitting for a while, the fuel can evaporate out of the lines, and the pumps dont go unless the bike is started :? . This probably isnt the case, because yours was only off a couple of days, but handy to know...

11. My neighbour has a Across and he reckons that it starts nearly first go everytime, even leaving it for a week or two.

12. I find that this works for all the bikes I've ever had. When it is cold give it 3/4 choke and turn it over without any throttle or else you will flood. When it kicks then slowly ease the throttle up until engine stops spluttering. turn off the choke as soon as possible so that you don't foul up the plugs and valves. If you have an easy to get at idle adjust you can use that to keep the revvs up instead of choke so that it doesn't stall and you can put your helmet and stuff on while the engine warms.
    Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Also, if you have a headlight switch, turn it off when you first start it so that all the power goes to the starter motor.

13. or just buy a fuel infected bike :p