Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Starting a CB400 in 1st? Possible?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by pengo, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Hi

I believe all modern motorbikes short of Ducati's have a clutch switch installed, which allows the rider to start the bike while the clutch ins held in and in 1st gear. This makes hill starts easy.

I do not own one but believe they were able to do this, but I'm being told by someone they don't and its against ADR.

Can someone with a CB400 please confirm? So I can put this issue to bed :)

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, I'd just like clarification.

Thanks

2. Yes, it'll (almost) definitely work (haven't tested it on that specific bike, but on plenty of others), but you'd also need the side-stand to be up. That is, they have another cutout switch that stops them starting in gear, even with the clutch in, if the stand is down.

So clutch out, stand down, neutral will work, and so will clutch in, stand up, first.

3. yeh just jumped on my cb400, as Bravus said it will start in 1st with clutch in and kickstand up.

4. your mate's a ********. it's no more against ADR's than a car being able to start in gear

5. Yep. It works, of course.