Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

starting a bike without the correct key

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by n1ck, Dec 21, 2005.

1. today i went to see a bike and i was happy with everything until i found out that the bike can be started with any other key, basically anything that fits the ignition hole. can this be fixed??

2. Yeah absolutely, replace the lock barrel.

3. thanx sir_b!! that was really fast reply by the way.. anywayz.. well just wondering wat u think about this deal.. honda cbr250r mc19, 40000kms, $3800, cosmetically good (not excellent.. but good), mechanically sounds alright. there are some minor problems such as the lock barrel, the brake lights doesn't come on when the front brake lever is pressed (the rear brakes alright) and it might need some oil change..so whaddaya think?? shall i make the deal???
  4. Take out the ignition barrel. Connect the ffirst two wires and you have the ignition on. Then touch it to the third wire and it will start. There's no need to find a key to fit. :LOL: Often, the ignition is only a means of turning a plastic disk with a rectanglar hole in it. A screwdriver will be fine. I shaped and old pin spanner handel to fit the same set up on my scooter as it didn't come with a key. :D
  5. Make them fix it and get a roadworthy. I admit, a roadworthy doesnt mean theres nothing wrong with it but as a bare minimum it's a reasonable requirement ncluding fixing the ignition and brake light. If you're not a mechanic, any bike without a rwc is worth $500 or less. Ask them to get one and if they agree, wait until they do and the bike should be alright. If they say no, run away as fast as you can.
  6. Fairly high k's when you consider it's a high reving 4.

Not a big deal, I can't imagine a barrel from a wrecker would set you back any more than $50.

More than likely just the switch. It may just need adjustment (I'm not sure how the switch works on the cbr) but a replacement won't cost you too much.

That's to be expected. I give a full service to any new vehicle I buy, it's the only way to be sure it's been done right.

I'd be concerned about the mechanical condition most of all, 40,000 on a cbr could be fine or could mean the engine is almost dead if it's been mistreated. It's really hard to say whether to go for it or not without seeing the bike and how it rides and sounds etc. If everything checks out though, a new lock barrel, brake switch, and oil change wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, though I'd do the work myself so they're cheap things.

7. n1ck, justin's given you good adivice if you know what you're doing. Trust me he's a good bloke. It appears to be your first bike though, so if you're unsure it's best to get the seller to fix the probs even if it up's the price a little. There are tons of bikes on the market. Walking away from one only means finding another.

I don't want to turn you off the bike. If you want it, then by all means make an offer, but there's no reason to think that a better one wan't come along.
  8. n1ck, I agree with what Seany is saying here. I'm coming from the perspective of doing the work myself which is very different to having to put the bike in to get fixed. If you're not comfortable with the idea of getting your hands dirty, Seany is right in saying to get the owner to fix it or walk away.

9. sounds like some good advice from both seany and sir-b.

remember dont be too upset if the first bike you fall in love with dosent work out, good, cheap 250s are a dime a dozen.

If you are even the slightest bit unsure either get it checked out by someone who knows or walk away.

If you are lucky you might even find someone on here willing to look at a few bikes with you.

Good luck
  10. Hey Justin, are you getting the feeling we're playing thread ping-pong between this and the pub fight thread. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  11. LOL, absolutely Seany :)

Good to mix the OT with the O/T eh? :p :p

12. OT: WTF is O/T? :p :LOL: :LOL:
  13. you two need to get a room :LOL:
  14. Sorry to disappoint Jason, but I don't swing that way :)

Seany: Was in reference to the thread where it was said that O/T = off topic and OT = On topic.

15. Thatz fwom a man hoo tayks spelin lessonz fwom gwrobertz :p :LOL:

No offence Glen. :D
  16. Dude, you gotta ring vicroads to check out the bike..

Usually if anything will start the bike it is because it has been stolen, or someone tried to steal it... (they put a screwdrive in the keyhole, and then hammer it in and turn)...

So just make sure the ownere really is the owner...
  17. Good Advice.. I always ring Vic Road when buying a bike to check the VIN/Engine number match and to check if there is any finance owing on the bike.
  18. thanx for all that guys.. however, is it easy to fix the brake light problem?? reason i'm asking is because i really like the bike and would want to get it (possibly today!!) and the only thing that worries me now is the brake light problem..
  19. Sounds like the switch on the front brake lever isn't working, possibly the result of the contacts inside the switch corroding over. Shouldn't be a major issue to repair/replace it.
  20. Yeah, most common problem is with the switch in the front handbrake... if it still goes "click click" when pulling in and releasing it could be a connection, if it doesnt make that noise, its probably dirty and there is a good chance you can fix it just by cleaning it...