Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Starting 2 stroke Whipper Snipper

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Nakkas, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Hey just wondering if anyone can help here.

I bought a GMC Whipper Snipper a few weeks ago and after a lot of mucking around it started alright. I've used it twice, both times took a bit of wrestling but I got it going.

Now it's just refusing to start. I'm thinking it might be flooded.

Anyone know how to unflood these things or to start them when they're not starting.

As for the controls. This one has a sqeeze throttle, on switch, primer bulb and a pull start. When I pull it, it sounds promising but nothing happens.

Help would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. Sounds like it is on choke.

Usually they have three settings, the first choke setting sounds like it might run but won't. Once it does that then move to normal choke and then to urn when going for a minute or so.

Trev

3. check the choke, and did you mix the fuel/oil ratio correctly? Did you make sure that the mixture was mixed up (give the can a bit of a shake before you pour it into the trimmer).

4. As the lads have suggested the choke may be the key to this.

With all of the WSes that I've owned it's been somewhat of an art to get 'em going.

Usually I do this:

1. Prime the carby using the bulb thingy.
    2. Select FULL choke.
    3. Turn it over a couple of tunes. It may kick once or twice.
    4. Select "HALF" choke.
    5. Pull start it.
    6. When it fires, apply light throttle to blip it. Get the revs up.
    7. With the engine revving a bit select choke to OFF.
    8. Blip the engine till you get full clean revs.

If all the above fail, then remove the plug and clean it or put a new one it and get the old one cleaned. Use it as a standby spare for such occasions.

Of course, if it has an on-off switch make sure that it's turned on before attempting step 3 of the process.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Is the side stand down? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

^^ Martins advice is spot on :wink:

6. Cheers guys.

I had it on the cold start setting. I just mucked around with the choke position a bit and it finally got started.

Much appreciated.

7. Some of those "cheaper" whipper snippers need to be started with you holding the throttle on full as you pull the cord. Read the manual for the EXTACT starting procedure.

8. aV1WPNw9.