Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Starter trouble SRV250

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Peter UC, Mar 12, 2012.

1. G'day all

I'm having problems with my starter at the moment on my SRV250 (same engine as a Virago 250 for those that don't know). It first happened a couple of months ago when starting I heard a loud 'clang' and the starter (and therefore engine) locked up. Upon trying to find the cause it freed up and has been fine until about a week ago, where the same happened again.
    This time I gave the case a kick which seemed to do the trick as it loosened up and started fine. Then a few days ago it did it again and now the starter will work and start but has a horrible sound when starting like something is loose.
    Today I took off the side cover and everything seemed to normal, no excess play in the gears etc but the problem remains.
    Is there any known problems with the starter mechanism on these bike and what should I be looking for when I check it again.
    If it is any use bike has done approx 34,000kms and is riden daily approx 25km round trip.
    Thanks Peter

2. Anybody?

3. Starter clutch has lunched it mate its the roller bearings hidden inside that roll in a groove with springs to force them against the ring gear.

Not easy to write up cause you need the workshop manual it its a one way roller sprage clutch mate hate to say it it has sat for a few years i reckon and some rust has started up on the working face it takes the rollers out and the debris usually traps the springs sounds like skeletons going for it in a biscuit tin.

Good luck with it mate

4. Thanks for that, yep that sounds like it is the case. I know before I bought it it had sat around a few years. Oh well this gives me an excuse to replace the seal on the bottom of the rear cylinder while I'm at it.