Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Starter switch sticking

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by tunaranch, Feb 22, 2006.

1. I've noticed that after being exposed to rain, the Virago's starter switch tends to stick. Any ideas why this might be happening?

It's not a big problem, but I was wondering what the funny sound was, and I didn't realised what had happened until I had parked the bike, turned it off, and it came to life immediately when I turned the key.

2. Mine didn't stick, but at one time the contacts were rusted slightly so it wouldn't start properly.

Use some WD-40, really get in there...
  3. er.. if your starter switch is sticking on and the starter is spinning all the time you're riding, I'd say you *do* have a problem. It can't be a good thing.
  4. After washing or heavy rain the starter switch on the GS sometimes refuses to work. On mine it was the kill switch not making contact exactly right. Bit of electrical cleaner and no more problems. If it's stuck on and the starter motor is spinning then yes that is a real problem. If it's just a sticky switch then just give it a spray.

5. The motor was spinning as a consequence of the switch being stuck. The guys at Yamaha West could not find any probs with it when I took it in for a major service.

It doesn't happen all the time, only after it's been sitting in the rain.

I can make it stop by pushing the switch in the opposite direction.

Any ideas why it happens when it's wet? Water getting and shorting something?
  6. WD40 would almost certainly cure that i would imagine.
  7. I thought WD40 conducts wouldn't this complete the circuit in the switch as if it is being pressed..... or will it evaporate
  8. that'd be my guess :)

+1 for WD40
  9. +1 for WD40. That's even what alot of bike review dudes say when looking at old bikes. If you have a sticky starter or switch gear then hit it with the Wet/Dry!!