Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

starter motor

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by NightWolf, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Got my brand new bike the other day and i had my kid sitting on it with me in the carport the motor was running as i was warming it up for a ride and my kid hit the starter button while it was running and it made a funny wining sound now what i want to know it will it have damaged anything as it was only hit once.
    I started it today and it kicked over but the starter sounded like it was still winning a few seconds after the engine fired up?? any help would be much appreciated

2. No, they are generally designed to not engage if the motor is travelling faster then the starter motor - logic dictates what can happed to the starter motor if it actually engages while riding. You might get a rubbing of gears, but no engagement.

She'll be right.
  3. thanks i was a bit scared there for a while :)
  4. Bike starters typically run through a one way clutch, which will only transmit power from the starter in one direction, and wil not allow the starter to engage this clutch if the engine rpms are higher than the starter.
    Unless the starter one way clutch is damaged, it is impossible for any starter damage to occur.

Regards, Andrew.