Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Starter motor or alternator?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Shoot To Thrill, Oct 7, 2008.

1. My Kawasaki ZZR 250 has been having some issues starting...

Last week, I was riding around as per usual and then when I stopped my bike and tried to start it again, it just started making a clicking noise. I double checked everything and shifted from neutral to 1st gear a couple of times and this got it going.

Now, I can't get it started at all without clutching it. I went over to the battery factory in Fyshwick and had the battery replaced, thinking it was that, but still no luck. The lights and everything all come on, it just doesn't wanna start.

The clicking noise appears to come from the relay switch. I took the faring off and tapped at the starter motor and this got the bike to start. I rode the bike to Nowra the other day, and after riding the bike for about an hour, it just started without any problem. But now its gone back to not starting at all.

What the deuce is going on?? Is it the starter motor? Or do you reckon its the alternator?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

- Jen

2. You've done your own diagnosis. It must be the starter motor. Maybe the power cable to it, but the the fact it worked after tapping would suggest the brushes need replacing.

It probably needs a bit more than that also, but that is the cause.

3. Thanks for your help. I have just taken it to a mechanic and they've quoted me $230 to replace the starter motor.

Cheers,

Jen

4. That's a shame, bet you could do lots of other nice stuff with the money, but ibast was spot on with his diagnosis, Netrider strikes again!!!