Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Starter motor not always engaging

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by sylvaner, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Hey guys.
    I recently purchased an Fzr250 as my first bike and I'm already having some trouble.
    When I turn the key, turn the fuel tap on and disengage the kill switch everything prepares fine but the starter motor doesnt always turn on, I find that when I hold it sometimes it will come on at a random time and sometimes as soon as I press the button it engages the starter..

Would this be a problem with the connection on the button or will this issue lie within the starter motor itself?

Sorry if you guys cant understand my question, I tried to explain it my best.

Thanks for any information!

2. Had a loan bike while getting mine serviced once. The starter button was a bit gypy and needed to have some sideways pressure applied first before pushing it in.

Try to jiggle the button a bit. With trial and error you should be able to tell if it's the connection with the button or something else.

3. Follow the wires out of the switchblock to the first connector. All you are doing when you hit the starter button is bridging those 2 wires. At the connector block, bridge the 2 wires from the starter switch ( be prepared to disconnect, you only need to connect for as long as it takes to spin the starter ).

Does the starter "engage"?
    Does it engage every time you bridge the 2 switch wires??

If it does, then your switch is the culprit. If not, keep looking for the cause.

4. Thanks mike, simple and great tip