Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

starter motor issues

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Blitzkrieg Films, Aug 2, 2005.

1. ok so I just dropped my engine back in (a new one, not my old one) and after connecting everything up my bike wont start.
    Basically it seems to be the starter motor. the celuloid (spelling?) is clicking but yeh apart from that it does jack all. I could have things connected wrong, the cable which I thought was the start motor cable sparks and seems to short when attatched...anyone got an idea?
    my bike is a honda vt250f
    So yeh could it be a wiring problem, an actual starter motor problem (it shouldnt be), a fuse? let me know dudes

2. Normally with starter motors there are several things to check
    i) relay
    ii) solenoid
    iii) brushes on the motor
    iv) Correct wiring
    I had problems with all of these items on a car I had once.

3. Step one, check all main connections, loose, rusty etc connections do this. It causes a vlotage drop due to resistance. Starter motor needs all the volts and amps it can get.

Second, check battery charge. Use a hydrometer. Volt meters can tell lies. While the volts may show 12v, as soon as a load is applied, the volts drop so low the starter motor cannot get the inertia to turn over hard enough to throw the bendix out and turn the motor over.

If all the above is good, push/carry it to the local workshop.

One other trick to try is use a jumper lead from a car battery to see if it will turn over. If it does, the problem is the battery or it's connections.

Enjoy

Brian

4. Step four, (if you can afford it!!) get an on-site auto-electrician to hook it up to his magic machine and he'll tell you in a jiffy what's wrong, then put his hand out for some money!

5. hey i had a similar experience that turned out to have nothing to do with the starter motor however this is wat i learnt.

A bike starter motor doesn't engage like it does on a car, it is permantly engaged to an idler type gear connected to your flywheel that only engages one way when the engine starts the idler and stater are still connected to the flywheel but spin freely.

One way to test the starter is to take it of the bike get a charged battery and a set of jumper leads, connect the positive terminal to the terminal on the starter, and earth the negative elsewhere on the starter (should be something like a bracket on the casing you can use) the starter shaft/pinion whatever it is should start spinning. be careful when doing this. only keep it connected for a second or so you'll find out pretty quickly if it works. As long as it is spinning fast (very) it should be right.

if it doesn't work you can pick one up from a wreckers for about $80 -$110, if it does work then you might have issues somewhere else like I did.

Cheers.
    Max.

6. Ah, didn't read the bit about sparks (my eyes have blind spots!).

Yeah, you've got some trapped/ loose wiring by the sounds of it (I assume you are using the same starter motor, so this should be ok??).

7. nah different starter motor, but yeh thaks for the idea`s guys

8. This sparking worries me when you connect the wires :?

I think the wiring should b e checked and ensured that all the wires are connected correctly. The Starter motor should have large wire coming from the solenoid to the starter and would attach with a nut. Earth is through the body of the starter motor through to ground of the engine. There will also be another smaller wire that clips on to a smaller lug on the Solenoid this comes from the starter button. The solenoid is effectively a large switch. It has low power going into it from the starter button which activates a switch in the solenoid that turns on the high tension power which is directed straight to the starter motor.
    If you have a test light test the small wire going into the solenoid, this should not be live unless with the ignitio on and the starter button pushed! If this is the case then test the large wire going from the solenoid to the starter motor, this should also not be live unless you push the starter button with ignition on.
    If the wire from the starter button is live with the ignition on and not pushed you have a problem in that circuit, if the wire to the starter motor from the solenoid is live with out the starter button pushed and ignition on then you have a problem with the solenoid. If you have neither of these then I suspect the starter motor itself.
    When it sparks when you connect it all up it sounds like there is a fault somewhere. You just need to eliminate all the components before finding exactly where the fault is. :)