Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Starter maintenance kit

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Madison, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Starter maintenance/service kit

G'day all

Before I get shot down, I have searched and so have a fair idea of the answer to this already, but am just making sure i haven't missed anything.

I am getting an old POS bike off a mate so that I can teach myself how to do maintenance, servicing and get a bit more savvy on the technical stuff so that I can be confident in buying used bikes in the future and can work on my bike (save money plus the reward of doing my own work).

I have nothing at this point in time, I have limited experience riding (18 months) and no experience with mechanical stuff. So I need to get started from the ground up.

From searching the forum I can gather I need a couple of books (The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance by Mark Zimmerman is one I am looking to get), I know the Haynes Manuals are good, but seem to be the next level, or should I get them too? I know I will need the shop manual of my bike model, available through Haynes.

For tools I think I need - a set of good quality screwdrivers (Stanley seems to be popular), a socket set (1/2" or 3/8", I'm not actually sure which), a set of allen keys, some spanners, a race stand.

I guess a torque wrench or is this only for when if I start playing around with the engine?

Is there anything I have missed? Do I need all that stuff to start off with, as I will just be doing the most basic things such as changing oil etc and working my way up to doing my own service.

Are there any other tips you can give me for doing my own work that I may have forgotten?

Sorry in advance for all the questions and long post, but I don't really have any mates who ride so have no one to ask.
  2. I'm new to it myself, but I can give a couple of tips (of course this is all dependent on what tools your bike needs).

I have a Stanley screwdriver set, love 'em.

A decent socket set with a wide range of socket sizes. Others will be able to tell you the brands to look for, mine's a Bahco set that I'm happy with.

Allen keys I have a set of imperial, metric, and torque.

Pliers, both standard and needle-nose.

Some form of shears/snips/scissors.

Definitely a torque wrench, you may even need two to cover the range of torques, but I don't have one myself yet lol.

If you're looking at playing with wiring: wire-strippers, current tester, electrical tape (or heatshrink), and maybe even Posi-lock connectors.

Starting to play with the brakes? A brake bleeder kit maybe...

An oil filter change tool if needed (had to get one for the spinner filter on my bike, just caps over the top and fits to my socket set).

That's all I can recall off the top of my head.
    It pays to build up your tool-kit slowly with quality items instead of buying a lot of cheap junk in one hit. So if you're looking at doing oil changes and such to start with, grab a good socket set + oil filter tool + a torque wrench (or borrow one for now).
  3. Cheers for the advice.

Has anyone got any books to recommend?
  4. Hold off on the torque wrench. I've only really had cause to use it once in the four or five years and that was rebuilding a clutch.

What sort of bike do you have? I'm generally quite poor at learning things from textbooks compared to being shown how to do it. If it's a popular bike there might be a club or a core group of people fanatical about the bike who'd love to show you what to do.
  5. Depends if you want to tighten it according to the manual or just until its tight enough.
  6. The POS is a zx2r.

The bike I want to upgrade to when I have got a handle on the servicing is cbr600f4.
  7. If you are certain of your next bike you might as well get the manual for it too..Clymer or Haines. I like to know,when I can, what is involved with any task on the bike...if you ever find yourself on the side of the road,last nights' bit of light reading may be useful.
    It's also interesting to read up and find out how things are laid out on this ride compared to your next one.

Go through the stock tool kit that you carry on the bike and replace the OEM tools with something like 'Snap on' or other quality brand.
  8. Meh, I've done valves, camchain, swapped headlights, triple clamps, done bearings at all ends, swapped exhausts, air filters, removed and fitted engines, footpegs etc and the clutch was the first time I wanted one. Even then it seemed either setting was 'tight as buggery' or 'just tight'. Then again, there are people who won't put a number plate on without a torque wrench so maybe i'm just the lazy one.

I though the ZX2R was a honking little thing, not really a POS?

And when you say servicing... what sort of stuff do you want to do? You'll find oil changes, balancing carbs etc spectacularly easy.
  9. The zx2r would normally be a nice little bike. But it's my mates, and he didn't have the money to maintain it properly and it needs some work, so if I can get it going it could end up being pretty solid. But as is stands, i don't think it will start running smoothly until its had about $600 or so put into it.

I guess I want to start off with the absolute basics, like just oil changes etc. and then build up so I can at least do a minor service on the bike, and hopefully build up so I can do a major service myself.

Ideally I would like to get to a level where I wouldn't even need a mechanic anymore, except to take it there so they can double check things once in a while.
  10. For an oil change all you need is a spanner and fresh oil. I change my oil filter using the screwdriver method :). You can get a lot done with one of those basic 70piece(or so) tool kits, which is basically all i have due to lack of garage. I've got a 3/8 torque wrench that cost me $35(half price) from supercheap. Don't waste your money on tools, spend it on the bike:D
  11. If you're getting a socket set, I'd suggest a 3/8" drive. My sidchrome set I bought has 1/2" and 1/4". the 1/2 drive I find is a bit bulky for working on the bike and the 1/4 is too small. Gonna buy myself a 3/8" next pay me thinks.

I too use the screwdriver method for oil filters :) Bit messy but that's half the fun.