Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Started off bad...just getting worse

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by tthornbr, Mar 4, 2005.

1. A couple of years back I decided it was time to upgrade my mode of transport to something bigger and better.... I went from a 250cc scooter to a 1000cc GTR, which was great!

Unfortunately, at the time I had about 11 months rego left and didn't feel the great need to fork over the sales tax to put the bike in my own name. Then, to make things worse, I let the rego lapse.

Even worse, when I did get the bike in for a new front tyre (and roadworthy) they told me that the brake rotors needed to be replaced at around $600 each (3X).

The final blows are that the old rego sticker holder finally fell off (where, I don't know) and I had a small road incident with car requiring the other guys insurance to get involved. I am not gonna use this bike anymore, but what steps do I need to take to dig myself out of this hole I am now in?

Any advice?

Thanks!

2. Hmmm.....good luck :)

Note for everyone re: rotors. This is one super way bike shops make their money these days. If you ever take your bike to a bike shop for as service or to trade it and they tell you your discs are too thin ask for the proof. On the side of your disc will have the minimum thickness. Ask them to get a micrometre and show you that they are under the minimum thickness. This is the kinda thing, that as most people have no idea about disc thickness, people are less likely to question a bike shop when told they need new discs.

3. That is great advice!! I bought a cheap set of calipers (very cheap/plastic) at Bunnings once that could tell me if the rotor are as close to the minimum as quoted. Until now, that hadn't even crossed my mind. If I find they are well inside spec... i could take them somewhere else...

Thanks for that!

Now what are the steps I need to take to get out of the hole?

4. Call a lawyer?????

Get one of those ones that are riders....see the ads in motocycling magazines. They'll tell you how it is straight!

:D :D :D

5. Okay.... let me rephrase this as a series of hypothetical questions.... :D

I have a friend that bought a bike privately...
    a) how long does he have to transfer the title and pay the stamp duty?
    b) what happens if he doesn't?
    c) is there a process for transferring the ownership even if not registered?

I have a friend whose bike's rego has lapsed...
    a) what are the steps to getting the bike re-registered?

Thanks again....

btw.... the first response back on this thread was a classic, although now removed for safety reasons I guess....

6. When i moved to queensland i was riding a 250 that my uncle had lent me, I knew the rego was about to come up for renewal. Rather than regester it and then do a transfer, he let it lapse, then sold it to me for $500. He gave me a receipt of sale.

I then took this to the rego office and they took that form (basically ignored it) and got me to sign a statement that I owned the bike and obtained it legally etc. Bike was re-registered, and back on the road!

7. Which State areyou in (other than one of perplexity)?

8. Mental State: Confusion
    Physical State: Victoria - The Garden State

Maybe I should have posted this in the Legal Forum?

Thanks