Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Stalling without the choke

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by guest1347, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Hi,

I've just bought a bike (my first bike), it's a Yamaha Scorpio 08 (Still under warranty)

When I start it up I need full choke I then reduce it to about half and let the bike warm up. If I try to take the choke all the way off (or move it to less than half way) the bike stalls, even if I have been riding for an hour.

Also in terms of fuel economy I am getting about 200km per 10L which seems pretty high considering it is only 223cc and I'm not thrashing it at all.

Am I right in assuming that something is wrong? Should I be taking it to a mechanic?

2. The problem will be as simple as incorrect idle speed or idle air/fuel ratio.

A very simple adjustment under warranty.

3. Using excessive choke will affect your fuel consumption.

You shouldn't need the choke to start a bike after an hour's riding. Just use a little throttle.

There's no need to "warm up" the bike on the choke. You're just wasting fuel. Get moving as soon as it is rideable and take it gently for the first few km's.

Always use as little choke as possible to keep the engine running without letting it labour.

If it's still an issue, get the tickover adjusted by the dealer. It's under warranty.